Answered

Sonance architectural wall speakers in DIY wooden speaker box.

• 23 February 2021
  • 3 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +3
  • Collaborator I
  • 26 replies

Hello,

I would like to have your thoughts using a pair of Sonance/Sonos architectural wall speakers in a pair of DIY wooden speaker box specifically prepared for these speakers (instead of putting them in the wall).

Would it be possible? How would be the quality of the sound?

I don’t want to make halls in my walls, and to be able to benefit from Trueplay feature in a Dolby Digital 4.1 setting using my Sonos Amp, Sonos Sub Gen 2, and a pair of Play 3s as surrounds.

Thank you very much in advance for your responses.

icon

Best answer by Stanley_4 24 February 2021, 01:09

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +3

Hello,

Finally, I created a pair of open-baffle speakers using the Sonos/Sonance Architectural in-ceiling speakers.

Combined with Sonos SUB, 2x Play:3 as surrounds, and Sonos AMP; following a Trueplay configuration, I obtained a perfect sound (either for HiFi or Dolby Digital 4.1).

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

As long as you build a decent box, no flexing, rattles or vibrations they should sound just fine.

The only question I see is the volume of the box or wall cavity. Sonos does not give that so it may not be critical.

A typical US wall mount volume would be around 3.5” X 22 x 48” or 3700 cubic inches.

https://www.sonos.com/pdfs/productguides/en-us/sonos_in_wall_by_sonance.pdf

Userlevel 1
Badge +3

Thank you very much !