Solving the 5.1, DTS issues with the Playbar

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

205 replies

Read the forums and other online sources on this issue. Looks like the Samsung bd-f5900 can output almost any codec as bitstream Dolby. It decodes the bd signal then reencoded it as Dolby digital (if you set it to). Might be a cheaper workaround than the $500 oppo player. It has an optical out that could go directly to the playbar. might just add a $7 optical switch to switch between optical directly from the tv to optical from the bd player when necessary. I just got this setup (without the switch yet).

MrWoofer,

So you are confirming that the Samsung BD-F5900 can convert the DTS track of a disc to Dolby Digital "on the fly" and output that DD 5.1 track over the optical out? If so that is indeed a great and relatively affordable solution.
How does the ps4 perform as a blu ray player?

Just fine to me... Right now it doesn't support "3D" but that is supposed to be added later via a software update...

Both the Xbox One and the PS4 seem equal performing as a BluRay player, expect that the Xbox One doesn't support any type of Dolby Digital at all right now.
Userlevel 2
I got this setup and it seems to work with Dolby true hd conversion to Dolby 5.1. Playing ironman 1 with output from the player set to bitstream reencoded Dolby 5.1 on setting about my system it indicates i am getting Dolby 5.1. I have an hdmi running from the player to the tv and an optical cable running to the playbar. I don't have a dts disk to test but I will look for one. The manual indicates it will do dts as well. Will post when I try it.
Userlevel 2
Follow up to my earlier post. I just tested my setup with the Bourne identity using dts-hd and can confirm i am getting Dolby 5.1 into the playbar. I previously tested it and got the same with Dolby truehd. Setup is as follows: Samsung bd-f5900 with hdmi into a Samsung c630 TV. Optical cable fom the blu ray player to a $10 monoprice toslink switch from amazon into the playbar. Using playbar, sub, and 2 play1s for rear speakers. This is a $95 player at Walmart, a lot less expensive than the $500 oppo player discussed as another solution elsewhere in this forum. Hope this helps.
Userlevel 3
Badge +2
I was wondering if this would solve all the 5.1 Surround problems (DTS) for the Sonos Playbar:

The Hama HDMI Audio Splitter:
you find it on the Conrad site and it cost 69,99 euro.

Anyone got some experience with this product?
Iam curious about it..