Smart TV application

• 5 September 2012
  • 42 replies

Can you make a Sonos application for smart-tv? I'm using Sonos Connect in the living room and it would be very nice to get it on the TV (Got a Samsung UE55ES6805). I know a lot of people who chose Apple TV instead of Sonos just because of this.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

42 replies

I am now using the Sonos app combined with Spotify app to adjust the volume on my Playbar and Play 1’s connected with a smart Samsung TV. Is there no other way? Preferably supported for my Apple watch. This could make my music experience a lot better. Many thanks upfront!

Yes, you should be able to setup your tv remote to work with the playbar.

https://www.sonos.com/en-us/support/home-theater/tv-remotes

As I understand, the tv app people are asking for in this thread has nothing to do with playing or controlling the audio from your tv on to a playbar, but with controlling all the speakers in your house with a tv app, the same way you currently do with your iOS app.
I am now using the Sonos app combined with Spotify app to adjust the volume on my Playbar and Play 1’s connected with a smart Samsung TV. Is there no other way? Preferably supported for my Apple watch. This could make my music experience a lot better. Many thanks upfront!
Did anything come of this? I've just got a smart TV (samsung) and would LOVE a SONOS controller app ... was quite surprised one wasn't already available to be honest. Would be great when entertaining or just listening to music with friends. Most of the code must be there already ... I'm sure a smart developer could get this up and running in no time!
It's likely that the small number of users that something like this would generate keeps it from bubbling to the top of their priority list. Which, right now, I'd assume is "Voice Control".
I hear crickets. Sonos doesn't care. Hello competitors!

Yes, feel free to move to the competitor who produces a smart TV app.
I hear crickets. Sonos doesn't care. Hello competitors!
Still unnoticed. Ridiculous. Samsung TV is has an sdk that Sonos can easily develop to. Here is the link incase Sonos doesn't know how to use the Internet.
https://www.samsungdforum.com/devtools/sdkdownload
Badge +1
How long does it take for someone at Sonos to give a shit about the customer/installers that are buying their products? This is ridiculous!
Sonos replied and basically said they dont discuss updates and to use the BETA program! They assured me that this forum does not go unnoticed. Thats as far as it got but at least they replied! I told them to at least almowledge the fact the suggestions have been seen so that we are not just on here getting more and more angry at the lack of response ao watch this space.....
Badge +1
How long does it take for someone at Sonos to give a shit about the customer/installers that are buying their products? This is ridiculous!
Ive just sent Sonos a lengthy facebook message telling them that they are ignoring us hoping for some form of reply! They will probably ignore that too! Such a shame that such a good product is poorly supported by its developers! Even if they made an app for Apple Tv for starters (sorry android fans!) then we would have some Tv integration, but yes a smart tv app for all smart tvs would be best! Come on Sonos
I have recently spoken to Sonos and highlighted the lack of smart tv application. They said there are many boundaries to overcome before an app is launched and to suggest it in their forum. Having read many forums I replied to them saying that there are many people asking for the same thing and that 'Ask Sonos' is never answered. A few days later Sonos replied agreeing with me that their forum is unanswered and hd not been aware of the number of people asking for a smart tv app. They have assured me they will look into getting a response and that the app is something in future. Watch this space!!!
Oh really? I heard it syncs easily and was going to buy on this advice. But perhaps it's not so straightforward?!
So Samsung TV is based on Linux and obviously has connectivity to local network via Wifi and Internet connectivity.  I found this developer guide for Samsung TV app developers. https://www.samsungdforum.com/Devtools/Spec.

So  can someone explain to me why this is so hard for Sonos to develop an App for Samsung Smart TV for their controller? 
I'm doing research before buying my living room sound system and an answer to this question would be much appreciated. 
Yes, I am not one for the way they run the ideas program. It could be done in a much better fashion.
Badge +1
any update from songs on this? It seems with all the posts on here that they say "its something we will pass to our development team" and then thats it its forgotten about!! I spoke to someone at Sonos about a month ago and even he admitted that the forums have gone unchecked. Isn't it about time sons replied to us all?
Samsung Smart TV App would be great!  I am very surprised SONOS does not have an app yet.  Especially because the TVs have wifi and SONOS has wifi.....please please please make a SONOS app ASAP. 
Sonos app in smart tv's is a must. I will be losing alot of my customers of Sonos to other competing equipment.
+1 for samsung smart tv app for controlling sonos
I could not agree more.  If Sonos doesnt do this with Samsung you can be sure Samsung will do this for their own Wifi stereo system which competes with Sonos.  If I was Sonos -- I would want to do this quickly. 
Badge
+1 smart TV app, I'm not fussed about TV, but like Plex app on Samsung so you can play your music collection from the TV. 
Userlevel 2
+1 for LG TV app
I also need this app
I have recently spoken to Sonos and highlighted the lack of smart tv application. They said there are many boundaries to overcome before an app is launched and to suggest it in their forum. Having read many forums I replied to them saying that there are many people asking for the same thing and that 'Ask Sonos' is never answered. A few days later Sonos replied agreeing with me that their forum is unanswered and hd not been aware of the number of people asking for a smart tv app. They have assured me they will look into getting a response and that the app is something in future. Watch this space!!!
This is a must need.  Getting the Sonos bar to sync sound with a Samsung smart TV is a bloody nightmare!!!!
Badge +1
I agree, the two most popular smart tv's are LG and Samsung. Both have very similar apps such as Spotify. It would be great to get Sonos on the tv to tie in with any music or sound ouput - get rid of cables and output sound wirelessly or use the app as a central hub for your sonos music.
+1 for LG TV app

Agreed...an app for LG TV would be great
+1 for LG TV app