Question

SKY Q Connection HDMI or Optical

• 16 September 2020
  • 3 replies

Hi - looking for some guidance…

Set-up my Play bar yesterday, all good on that front. Have the optical cable going from the play-bar to the tv, and the tv connected to my Sky q (2tb) box via hdmi. Is this correct?

Looking through my skyq audio settings, the ‘Digital Audio output HDMI’ is set as normal, if I choose Dolby Digital there is no sound.

Should i connect the skyq box to the playbar direct?

*Update* So when I connect playbar directly to the skyq box via optical I automatically get the sky sound through the playbar even when the tv is not switched on* #confused

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

Of course you’ll get sound when the TV is off, you have connected the sky q box to the Playbar bypassing the TV .  That’s the way i have my Playbase set up as it prevents audio delay on dolby digital settings.  Be sure to check in the SkyQ settings that the optical output is set to Dolby digital. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Remember if you connect your Playbar directly to your Sky settopbox, you loose the possibility to play sound from your TV apps.

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

Remember if you connect your Playbar directly to your Sky settopbox, you loose the possibility to play sound from your TV apps.

Yes, this is true. I set up an Optical switch so i can easily swap between the TV and the Sky box optical outputs.