Question

Sharp Aquos Playbar compatibility / troubleshoot

I have a Sharp Aquos LC-40D68UT (purchased in 2011).  It has a digital audio port, and seems to plug in fine to my Playbar; however, during Playbar setup, the Playbar does not detect anything coming from the TV.  Wondering if the TV is simply not compatible (it's not listed in the non-compatible list thread; and speaking to Sharp customer service they weren't able to say definitively).  Or wondering if there is some other common troubleshoot (which I haven't found in the manual or FAQ).  Thanks

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

13 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge
Hi, Do you need to select external speakers within the tv menu to activate the Optical Audio Port? Just a thought Thanks
Could be -- will give that a try when I get home. Thanks very much.
Userlevel 6
Badge +16
Yes give that a go, most TV's will need the internal speakers turned off. You might also have to play with the audio settings on the TV.
Thank you, that's very helpful.  Fingers crossed
Userlevel 6
Badge +16
There are other options for connecting your Playbar, let's see if we can sort out the TV first. If not you could look at connecting the Playbar direct to the devices like Sky Box, Xbox etc.
Did anyone ever solve this?  I have the same model TV and am having the same problem.  Please help!
Did anyone ever solve this?  
First, I assume that you are watching a digital broadcast?  (Unlikely that you are not, but I thought I'd better ask).  You have probably tried everything in the manual but I provide a link to the manual below and there are settings on pages 14,17,21 and 24 that are worth experimenting with.

Does your Playbar work OK as a Sonos music speaker?

http://files.sharpusa.com/Downloads/ForHome/HomeEntertainment/LCDTVs/Manuals/tel_man_LC40D68UT.pdf
I have this same issue. Yes, it is working fine as a music speaker, but I can't get it into digital audio mode. I suspect it's in Setup>audio setup but it is "grey'd out" for me.. I can't select that menu. Any answers? Thank you
Userlevel 6
Badge +3
Hi Mumby,

I think you need to work on the audio out on your TV to get sound to the optical port and not the Sonos app.

Let us know how it works,
I connected the sonos to the PVR and now the sound works, but it can only be controlled by my phone. When my parents visit, babysitters are in the house etc., they're going to want to control the volume too, so I'm not sure this soundbar thing is for me... unless I'm missing something.. thx!
Userlevel 4
Badge +5
In the setup you train the Playbase/bar to learn your remote controls' volume. You can set this up again in Room Settings.
Userlevel 6
Badge +3
Once you have setup your remote the Play Bar will automatically switch from music to TV when the TV comes on (you can turn this off in settings) Making the whole thing very easy to use for all.
Userlevel 6
Badge +3
Remote

How to