Answered

Setting Sonos in a 28x18 feet room with projector

• 22 July 2019
  • 3 replies

Badge
Hello, thank you for your help!

For an environment in my house that has 28x18 feet, I intend to buy an Optoma UHD60 projector, 2 pairs of 5 play sleeps, a sub sonos and use the connect sonos to connect everything. It's possible? Is it a good setup? Or is it preferable to put some play sounds in the environment along with the sub?
Is it possible to connect the audio of this projector with Sonos connect?
Thank you very much for the tips.
icon

Best answer by melvimbe 22 July 2019, 22:23

I think I expressed myself poorly! Excuse me.

I do not wish to make a home theater system, but only an environment to play music and watch my games. So I talked to BH Photo's customer service and they suggested this setup. I'm asking here if this works?

I need a projector and 4 speakers. I thought of 4 speakers sleep 5 and a sonos sub connected to Sonos connect.

The projector should send sound to the connect sonos and this send to the speakers play 5, without any delay. It is possible?

You can't do that connection without any delay, you'll have lip sync that may or may not bother you. IMO, it's not a good idea to buy a $1500 projector and set it up with a speaker system not designed for home theatre audio. I understand the desire to do this completely wirelessly, but you'll need to wire video content and provide power to the projector (assuming you'll ceiling mount it.

Instead of spending around $3000 on Sonos equipment, get a playbar+sub+2 sonos ones and spend the extra $1200 on getting the setup wired properly, perhaps professionally installed. Order go with a more traditional amp + wired speaker setup (use a Connnect for Sonos content) and get a professional installer to set it up.
View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

Not sure what a PLAY:5 sleeps is, but no, this won't work.

None of the devices that you've listed allow for any interpretation of a Dolby Digital signal. The Sonos devices that do that are the Sonos Amp (allows for 4.1), or the PLAYBAR, PLAYBASE, or Beam (all allow for 5.1 to be processed).

There's no way to set up four PLAY:5s as a home theater system. Sonos software doesn't allow that.

The Sonos CONNECT only deals with a stereo signal, and won't allow you to process a surround signal.
Badge
I do not wish to make a home theater system, but only an environment to play music and watch my games. So I talked to BH Photo's customer service and they suggested this setup. I'm asking here if this works?

I need a projector and 4 speakers. I thought of 4 speakers sleep 5 and a sonos sub connected to Sonos connect.

The projector should send sound to the connect sonos and this send to the speakers play 5, without any delay. It is possible?

You can't do that connection without any delay, you'll have lip sync that may or may not bother you. IMO, it's not a good idea to buy a $1500 projector and set it up with a speaker system not designed for home theatre audio. I understand the desire to do this completely wirelessly, but you'll need to wire video content and provide power to the projector (assuming you'll ceiling mount it.

Instead of spending around $3000 on Sonos equipment, get a playbar+sub+2 sonos ones and spend the extra $1200 on getting the setup wired properly, perhaps professionally installed. Order go with a more traditional amp + wired speaker setup (use a Connnect for Sonos content) and get a professional installer to set it up.