Question

Set up surround sound with older Sonos speakers

• 21 December 2016
  • 5 replies

Userlevel 2
Currently have: a ZP 90 connected to Modem; 2 Sonos SP 100 speakers connected to a ZP 120; Sonos Controller; a Samsung 8500 TV. Also have a Zonebridge 100, which I never used.

Just purchased a Sonos Playbar as well as a SUB as well as a Sonos boost, but don't know if needed. I would like to use the Sonos speakers along with player and sub and don't want to mess anything up in this wonderful system to listen to music and watch TV. Any help, much appreciated. Thanks.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Good Morning. I installed the Playbar and the SUB. I also moved the two Sonos SP 100 speakers that are connected to the ZP120 to the rear in an effort to create surround sound. The TV hook up is fine except no sound from the 2 speakers. Likewise, music only coming through the Playbar. As I stated earlier, iI also have the ZP 90 connected to modem. Any tips to "connect the final dots" much appreciated. Thanks, and Happy Holidays.

Hi coach1929,

Please submit a diagnostic report from your system with the TV on and playing audio, then reply with the confirmation number and I'll take a look.
Userlevel 2
Good Morning. I installed the Playbar and the SUB. I also moved the two Sonos SP 100 speakers that are connected to the ZP120 to the rear in an effort to create surround sound. The TV hook up is fine except no sound from the 2 speakers. Likewise, music only coming through the Playbar. As I stated earlier, iI also have the ZP 90 connected to modem. Any tips to "connect the final dots" much appreciated. Thanks, and Happy Holidays.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Since the ZP120 is a Connect:Amp under another name, I'm pretty sure it can be set up as surround speakers with the Playbar. See this link:

Setting up CONNECT:AMP as surround rears

If it's a ZP120 you have this is correct.
The BOOST probably is redundant. If you really don't want to mess up your existing system, consider getting two Play 1s as dedicated rear speakers. It's an easier and neater solution and they work very well in this role.
Since the ZP120 is a Connect:Amp under another name, I'm pretty sure it can be set up as surround speakers with the Playbar. See this link:

Setting up CONNECT:AMP as surround rears