Sending the Audio Output from my AVR Receiver to Sonos Connect and a pair of Play:1s

• 30 October 2018
  • 7 replies

Userlevel 2
Hi. I've spoken with both Sales and Technical Support at Sonos and have read several posts on *similar* subjects on this forum, but my basic questions remain unanswered, so I'm posting them here in the hope that someone can clear things up for me. Thanks in advance.

First, my current home theater system:
Denon AVR-1912 receiver
Oppo BDP-93 blu-ray player
Samsung HPT 5054X TV
Apple TV 4th gen
Audio-Technica preamp-equipped turntable

Also:
A Sonos dock with a Play:5, Play:3 and Play:1 connected, through which I play digitized music from a hard drive and music from Spotify.

Background: I need to replace my hard-wired 5.1 speakers. I decided to abandon surround sound and go with a simple stereo pair of speakers. Then it occurred to me that, since I'm very happy with the sound quality of my Sonos speakers, I could buy a CONNECT and a couple of Play:1s and use them as my (wireless) "home theater" speakers.

Here is what I want to do:

Goal Number One:
I want to be able to send the output of my Hi. I've spoken with both Sales and Technical Support at Sonos and have read several posts on *similar* subjects on this forum, but my basic questions remain unanswered, so I'm posting them here in the hope that someone can clear things up for me. Thanks in advance.

First, my current home theater system:
Denon AVR-1912 receiver
Oppo BDP-93 blu-ray/DVD/CD player
Samsung HPT 5054X TV
Apple TV 4th gen (it lacks an optical audio connection)
Audio-Technica preamp-equipped turntable

Also:
A Sonos dock with a Play:5, Play:3 and Play:1 connected, through which I play digitized music from a hard drive and music from Spotify.

Background: I need to replace my hard-wired 5.1 speakers. I decided to abandon surround sound and go with a simple stereo pair of speakers. Then it occurred to me that, since I'm very happy with the sound quality of my Sonos speakers, I could buy a CONNECT and a couple of Play:1s and use them as my (wireless) "home theater" speakers.

Here is what I want to do:

Goal Number One:
I want to be able to send the output from my Denon receiver to the CONNECT so that it will play through a stereo pair of Play:1s in my living room. That means that every audio source that is plugged into the receiver (TV with Apple TV [I don't have cable], Blu-ray/DVD/CD player, and turntable) will play on the Sonos speakers. I'm still unclear whether this is possible and, if so, what the connections/setup would be. I'm particularly concerned about the TV/Apple TV part of this, since video is involved.

Goal Number Two:
I'd love to be able to send music from all the audio sources connected to my receiver to the other Sonos speakers I have in various rooms of my house, just as I do now using the Dock and playing music from Spotify and my hard drive.

Notes:
I like my Denon receiver and would like to keep it as the "clearing house" for my audio and video sources. This is why I'd like to keep the receiver in the audio chain. But I'm beginning to think this may be impossible with a Sonos system.

Here is an image of the front and back of the Denon AVR-1912 receiver:

Any light you can shed on these questions, ideally in layperson's language, would be greatly appreciated. Suggestions for alternative solutions or workarounds also welcome.

Thanks,
Paul

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

7 replies

If there is actual audio being output by the DVR out, you would need to select Line-In from the Browse tab on the Sonos controller.
Can you pull the manual on that Denon, and see if any of the RCA jacks are outputs? I see a bunch of inputs for audio devices, but no outputs, which is how you'd circle back to the CONNECT. From what I can tell based on the picture, you could push music from Sonos to your Denon, but you couldn't push music from your Denon to the Sonos CONNECT
Can you pull the manual on that Denon, and see if any of the RCA jacks are outputs? I see a bunch of inputs for audio devices, but no outputs, which is how you'd circle back to the CONNECT. From what I can tell based on the picture, you could push music from Sonos to your Denon, but you couldn't push music from your Denon to the Sonos CONNECTLooks like there is a 'pre out' which might be suitable?
Gah. So tiny, my eyes slipped past that. And "pre" what? But what format is that in? It's a single connector, so assuming it's not digital, you're going to need to split it to an RCA pair. Hopefully the OP can look in the manual, and tell us what it says.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Manual doesn't look promising, didn't see any audio level outputs.

https://www.manualslib.com/manual/356899/Denon-Avr-1912.html?page=113#manual

Use the magnifier (top right) to zoom in on the connectors and labels.
If I'm reading this correctly, you're intention is to add the Connect and a pair play 1s to the same room as your receiver? Regardless of whether you can get it to play audio or not, it will not play in sync with whatever speakers you have connected to the Denon. The play:1s will be slightly behind creating an echo effect.

Or were you planning on having no speakers connected to the Denon at all, just using it essentially as kind of switch? Ok, but you the audio on the play:1s will still be delayed, so it won't match video on your TV.

And the cost of a connect + 2 play:1s is $650. Not considering a playbar/playbase.beam? Have you looked at the Sonos Amp? You could connect your apple tv and blue-ray to the tv, then passed to the sonos amp, the turntable directly to the amp. You would not need the receiver at all and the amp could power your existing speakers no problem.

I get why you want to hang on to the Denon, I'm just not sure it really gets you anything.
Hello,
Sorry for my poor english.
I also have a Denon (3312), a sonos connect and 5 play:1.
I can send music from my sonos to my Denon via the sonos connect : group the connect with the room (sonos play 1) i want to listen on my Denon) but I do not arrive in the other direction (denon -> Sonos)
Like "spillenger's goal n°1" I want to be able to send the output from my Denon receiver to the CONNECT so that it means that every audio source that is plugged into the receiver (TV , Blu-ray/DVD/CD player, radio and Minix) will play on the Sonos speakers in the room (Ex : denon in living room and play 1 in office :at the same time the same sound).
Which output do you use? I test with DVR OUT from Denon to Sonos connect Audio in but unsuccessful.
What kind of parameters should i use in Sonos Controller?

Thanks for the answer(s).