Answered

Second TV

• 19 June 2017
  • 7 replies

I currently have a TV with a Playbar and 2 Play 1's as surround in the lounge. I have added a second TV in the kitchen and I have 2 Play 3's there, which I wish to use with this TV. Do I have to buy another Player or Playbase to do this, or is there a bridge of some sort that I can use instead?
icon

Best answer by Airgetlam 20 June 2017, 02:26

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

7 replies

Well, I guess if the second TV is playing the exact same thing as the first TV, you could "group" the rooms, which would incur a minor delay of about 70ms, which may affect how you perceive the lip-sync on the TV. But if you're looking for some "bridge" to connect to the second TV to get separate sound, no, you'd need to get another Playbar or Playbase.

Having said that, I suppose you might use a Connect (stereo input only) assuming there's an appropriate output on the TV. But there would still be the delay I spoke of, and it's not generally recommended.
Thanks very much. You've confirmed my initial thoughts. I guess there's only 1 option, buy another Player or Playbase. It's a little disappointing that Sonos have no alternative, given the amount of their kit I already have!
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
Thanks very much. You've confirmed my initial thoughts. I guess there's only 1 option, buy another Player or Playbase. It's a little disappointing that Sonos have no alternative, given the amount of their kit I already have!

Mighty confused me am!
What alternative would you suggest?
Sonos already provide the Playbar or Playbase as their solution for excellent TV audio - Both these can be upgraded by the addition of other standard Sonos speakers (or 3rd party) to achieve DD5.1.
Why would Sonos expect a user with 2 x TVs to want a totally different solution than they already provide?
Well, the $700 pricetag can be a beat steep for use with a smaller kitchen tv. I can see where there would be a market for a smaller version of the playbar/playbase for use with smaller tvs in kitchens/bedrooms, etc.

My kids have 30" tvs mounted in their bedrooms (yes, they are spoiled). I was debating over Christmas between getting them each PLAY:1s or Amazon echo's. I went with the Echo's for ease of use for them. If there was a $200 playbar option to go along with the TVs, I might have seriously considered that. Then again, I doubt these tvs have an optical out option...not sure.
So far, Sonos has stayed with an optical connection to work with TVs. There's been no indication (not that there would be, mind you) that they would want to do anything else. I would guess that perhaps they think that if they bring out a slightly less expensive device like you're suggesting, it would cut into the sales of their Playbar / Playbase solution.

I am certainly not denying your desire, just suggesting it is unlikely to occur from Sonos.
I completely agree with you Bruce. There are a ton of products I wish would exist, that I'd be happy to pay a fair price for, that make little sense for a company to produce. At this time anyway.
Does your kitchen TV have any audio output, such as 1/8" audio jack? (Get adapter cable if TV uses something other than 1/8" jack.) If so, go to Ebay and buy a used Gen 1 Play5 (~$350). Hook the Play5 to the TV. From Controller, select Line In to listen to TV, or select other source for music. You can Group the Play 5 to the Play 3s or move the Play3s to another room.