Answered

Samsung TV with intergrated tuner and optical only, options to use with a Beam, AppleTV and Nintendo switch??

• 21 November 2018
  • 2 replies

Badge +2
I am very interested in buying a Beam but I have a few questions which I can't seem to find the answer to here.

I have a relatively old 32 inch Samsung smart tv with integrated satellite/cable tuner. It has coax and optical out but no HDMI ARC. I am also relatively sure (but not certain) that it does not have HDMI passthrough. I exclusively watch live TV through the built-in tuner (no external box) and use my AppleTV 3rd gen. for Netflix etc connecte via HDMI. We also use the TV with a Nintendo Switch which is also connected via HDMI.

As I understand it, as my TV has no ARC, I would have to connect to a Beam via optical. As my TV likely has no passthrough, I guess I would have to connect my AppleTV and Switch to an HDMI switch with ARC out. However, I am not clear on whether I can connect to the Beam via optical and HDMI ARC at the same time. If not, it would seem that I would be unable to watch TV using the build-in tuner and would have to use an external set-top box.

Does anyone have a suggestion or any advice?!
icon

Best answer by melvimbe 21 November 2018, 16:32

The Beam only has the single input, it cannot take in a optical connection and HDMI-ARC at the same time. In fact, optical in done through an adapter that 'converts' the optical signal to HDMI-ARC, effectively.

Since you are unsure of what your TV can do, I'd make sure that whatever you buy comes with a good return policy. If pass through works, then you have a pretty straightforward setup. If it doesn't then you'll likely need a few switches.

1 - An HDMI switch with optical output. With this you can take the HDMI outputs from your Apple TV and Nintendo Switch into an HDMI out to the TV and optical out.

https://www.amazon.com/iArkPower-Optical-Extractor-Splitter-Supports/dp/B01K7BZ1XC/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8&qid=1542814107&sr=8-10&keywords=hdmi+to+optical+audio+splitter

2 - An Optical switch. With this you can take optical signals from both the Apple TV/Switch and your TV (when using the internal tuner)

https://www.amazon.com/J-Tech-Digital-Premium-Quality-TOSLINK/dp/B00HQ2R38C/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1542813565&sr=8-4&keywords=optical+switch

The links provided are just examples. I'm not specifically endorsing these products. Also, we're talking a lot of adapters, it's not exactly elegant and easy to use, forcing you to you multiple small remotes to do relatively simple tasks.
View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

2 replies

The Beam only has the single input, it cannot take in a optical connection and HDMI-ARC at the same time. In fact, optical in done through an adapter that 'converts' the optical signal to HDMI-ARC, effectively.

Since you are unsure of what your TV can do, I'd make sure that whatever you buy comes with a good return policy. If pass through works, then you have a pretty straightforward setup. If it doesn't then you'll likely need a few switches.

1 - An HDMI switch with optical output. With this you can take the HDMI outputs from your Apple TV and Nintendo Switch into an HDMI out to the TV and optical out.

https://www.amazon.com/iArkPower-Optical-Extractor-Splitter-Supports/dp/B01K7BZ1XC/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8&qid=1542814107&sr=8-10&keywords=hdmi+to+optical+audio+splitter

2 - An Optical switch. With this you can take optical signals from both the Apple TV/Switch and your TV (when using the internal tuner)

https://www.amazon.com/J-Tech-Digital-Premium-Quality-TOSLINK/dp/B00HQ2R38C/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1542813565&sr=8-4&keywords=optical+switch

The links provided are just examples. I'm not specifically endorsing these products. Also, we're talking a lot of adapters, it's not exactly elegant and easy to use, forcing you to you multiple small remotes to do relatively simple tasks.
Badge +2
Thanks for the info, I was hoping not to go the splitter route but it looks like her only option with my current TV (model UE32F4570SS).