Question

Samsung Tv apps only Dolby digital 2.0 and not 5.1

• 15 January 2018
  • 6 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +6
Is there any way to get 5.1 for these ?
Netflix is 5.1 but now tv and google play is only doing 2.0 ! Is that normal ?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +12
We just need more information, what is your configuration?
Userlevel 1
Badge +6
We just need more information, what is your configuration?

Dont think the configuration matters, if im getting 5.1 for some apps on the tv its set up right.

Reading more it looks like now tv doesnt do 5.1 which seems to be a bit of a joke. How can they provide a movie service and not even offer proper sound on the films

https://help.nowtv.com/article/now-tv-features
Userlevel 3
Badge +3
Very annoyingly Google Play outputs 2.0 from the inbuilt TV apps, even from Sony TVs with Android OS (which is ridiculous). The only way for proper surround sound is with a Google Chromecast. If you're a big user, the Chromecasts are cheap and a good addition.

NOW TV does output 5.1 but you have to fiddle with the settings. My parents had it over the Summer so it's definitely buried in there.
Userlevel 1
Badge +6
Very annoyingly Google Play outputs 2.0 from the inbuilt TV apps, even from Sony TVs with Android OS (which is ridiculous). The only way for proper surround sound is with a Google Chromecast. If you're a big user, the Chromecasts are cheap and a good addition.

NOW TV does output 5.1 but you have to fiddle with the settings. My parents had it over the Summer so it's definitely buried in there.

I read on the forums that it might show as 5.1 in some set ups but it is just upmixed. Ill try from my ps4 tonight maybe and see if that improves it. Makes it hard to justify a movie rental if its not even the proper sounds. Would have used google play movies more if it worked better
Userlevel 3
Badge +3
Yah exactly, Chromecast is the only way I believe for true 5.1 from Google Play.
Userlevel 1
Yah exactly, Chromecast is the only way I believe for true 5.1 from Google Play.

Is someone able to provide 100% confirmation on this because I might get a Chromecast Ultra (for the HDR playback also) and need to know if I'll get 5.1 on my Playbar.