Samsung QLED & SONOS....or should i get a SONY OLED?

• 27 November 2020
  • 5 replies

Userlevel 2

I am about to buy a Samsung QLED with the black friday deals but want to make sure i can:

a) connect to my sonos system (new play 5’s & sonos 1) … i have a sonos port if needed

b) wont have serious latency issues?  

c) if there are major issues what tv do you recommend sony or LG 85”? 

i really dont want to have to buy an arc or playbar if i dont have to.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @doneenandscott, thank you for reaching out to the Sonos community and letting us know about your concern. Let me help you out with your inquires. Samsung QLED TV’s can be connected to Sonos soundbars and Sonos Amp for home theater setup. What Sonos soundbars do you have for us to give you additional information? About latency, I believe there’s none. It depends on the TV. It would be best to communicate this with the TV manufacturer. We can wait for suggestions and feedback from our Sonos community members, they might provide their opinion about this. If you need help with any other information, please be sure to let us know.

Userlevel 2

@Rowena B. thank you!  i ended up getting the SAMSUNG Q80T. I have Play5s, Ones & a Port, so im trying to connect the audio but there are no audio outs except HDMI and Optical. for now, i will try to get an optical out cable to RCA conversion so that i can plug into the port. 

What do you think? any other ideas? 

About latency, I believe there’s none.

Any asynchronous network requires some buffering -- and hence latency -- to cope with packet jitter. In the case of Sonos HT products, even with the dedicated 5GHz to the satellites, this results in around 30ms delay. That said, eARC may be able to request the TV to compensate.

@doneenandscott Your proposed scheme, using a Line-In, will be worse than the above. Line-In has a minimum latency of ~75ms. Unless you can pull the TV optical output ahead of the picture -- some Samsungs can -- you may experience detectable lipsync issues. 

Userlevel 2

@ratty thanks apologies but I’m not following what you mean about eArc. What is a better solution than what I’m suggesting? 
aside from buying a soundbar of course 

The eARC comment only applied to the Sonos Arc. 

Sonos home theatre products are designed to reduce latency to a minimum. A conventional Line-In (e.g. to Five or Port) has greater latency, and is not intended for TV use. Lip-sync could well suffer unless you can move the audio sufficiently ahead of the video in the TV’s settings. The better solution is … a Sonos home theatre product.