Samsung Q9FN (perhaps all smart Samsungs?) audio sync issue

• 1 May 2019
  • 6 replies

Badge
Hi everyone,

I noticed that there is a big thread on LG tv's and audio sync issues. audio later than video. I have the same problem with my Samsung Q9FN as well to my Beam.

Can sum it up that if I just pump out PCM stereo...no issues. Any form of 5.1 (Bitstream or PCM), then the problems start.
I've got an Apple TV 4k, an Nvidia shield as well..both having same problems. The shield is probably a bit better though and if I use plex, i've got it down to a minimum.

I'm probably going to get told that it's the t.v...which is fine (well, it's not really but if it is the problem, then it is).

Anyone had similar issues and resolved at all?

thnx.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

Userlevel 7
....Anyone had similar issues and resolved at all?
Hi frenzy382

The general consensus that I have observed in the forum is to acquire an HDMI switch, splitter hub or whatever you want to call it that allows you to send the Video to the TV via HDMI and Audio via optical to the Playbar or Playbase before the TV has a chance to manipulate it.

You'll notice I left the Beam out. I did so not because applying the solution would not work; but because in doing so the HDMI-ARC function is negated. HDMI-ARC is what sets the Beam apart from the other Sonos TV/Cinemas speakers.

So in essence it is the TV; but not in a sense that it is defective...it's just screwing with the audio as it was programed to do. :? Just my two cents :8

Cheers!
Userlevel 2
Badge +3
Hi everyone,

I noticed that there is a big thread on LG tv's and audio sync issues. audio later than video. I have the same problem with my Samsung Q9FN as well to my Beam.

Can sum it up that if I just pump out PCM stereo...no issues. Any form of 5.1 (Bitstream or PCM), then the problems start.
I've got an Apple TV 4k, an Nvidia shield as well..both having same problems. The shield is probably a bit better though and if I use plex, i've got it down to a minimum.

I'm probably going to get told that it's the t.v...which is fine (well, it's not really but if it is the problem, then it is).

Anyone had similar issues and resolved at all?

thnx.

That's interesting I have a Samsung q8fn and a beam and the only device that I get audio delay from is the Xbox one X which is also a known problem but my Apple TV is perfect.
Userlevel 1
Badge
I have this same TV, and while I can’t comment on the audio delay with the Beam, I can confirm that there is none with the Playbase connected via optical. Prior to the Samsung, I had an older LG and there was definitely a noticeable delay, so I am also sensitive to it.

Have you gone into the TV audio settings and ensured that audio delay is set to 0? Seem to remember that it defaulted to 5ms or something like that. Not sure if this impacts HDMI or not, but definitely worth a check. Keep us posted - if Sonos comes out with a larger HDMI soundbar I would be interested, but not if It re-introduces the lag that I previously had with the LG.
Badge
I have this same TV, and while I can’t comment on the audio delay with the Beam, I can confirm that there is none with the Playbase connected via optical. Prior to the Samsung, I had an older LG and there was definitely a noticeable delay, so I am also sensitive to it.

Have you gone into the TV audio settings and ensured that audio delay is set to 0? Seem to remember that it defaulted to 5ms or something like that. Not sure if this impacts HDMI or not, but definitely worth a check. Keep us posted - if Sonos comes out with a larger HDMI soundbar I would be interested, but not if It re-introduces the lag that I previously had with the LG.

I think I will have to go and dig out the box that the Beam came in, and retrieve the optical audio adapter. Once I've got that, there are two experiments that I can try.
1. Connect the TV in question, to the Beam via optical..just to see if this is HDMI related or not. (I've check the auio delay..it's 0 MS).
2. I've got an audio splitter, so again, with the optical audio adapter, I'll just have to hook up the shield to the splitter, then to the Beam via Optical.

Normally, I wouldn't want either of those two solutions...I like these things to work properly and keep everything all neat and tidy. However...I'm desperate now, and I'll gladly take any solution. I'm pretty impressed with the Beam (considering it's footprint) and with 2 Play 1's hooked up, I've actually got a better field of sound than I had with my Samsung 7.1.4 Atmos thing. The main reason being is that you can actually adjust (to a much better degree) the volume on the rears...very limiting on the Samsung.
Even the missus has bought into my 'all things Sonos ' thinking now...so I need to get this working! :-)

I'll report back after my testing.

Cheers
Userlevel 6
Badge +6
I have a Samsung smart TV (can’t remember the ridiculously long model number) and have had lip-sync issued with the beam from day 1. It’s worse at some times than at others, but I’m generally resigned to have to live with it. That is until I replace the TV. I too have noticed the high number of posts pertaining to Samsung TV’s. They are lousy TVs and it’s a lousy company. Each year they push out 40 / 50 / 60 (pick any stupidly large number) new models and **** anyone who has a TV over 12 months old as you’ll get no help from Samsung. The absolute embodiment of built in obsolescence — screw the buyer, screw the planet. Awful company.

Andrew S.
Userlevel 6
Badge +6
I have a Samsung smart TV (can’t remember the ridiculously long model number) and have had lip-sync issued with the beam from day 1. It’s worse at some times than at others, but I’m generally resigned to have to live with it. That is until I replace the TV. I too have noticed the high number of posts pertaining to Samsung TV’s. They are lousy TVs and it’s a lousy company. Each year they push out 40 / 50 / 60 (pick any stupidly large number) new models and **** anyone who has a TV over 12 months old as you’ll get no help from Samsung. The absolute embodiment of built in obsolescence — screw the buyer, screw the planet. Awful company.

Andrew S.