Samsung Frame TV (2020) CEC and Beam ARC Connection Issue

• 30 December 2020
  • 4 replies

Purchased new Samsung Frame TV 55” (2020) along with Sonos Beam for my parents who needed entertainment upgrades.

The Beam would not connect to the Frame TV using HDMI-ARC. Every attempt was met with the Sonos App telling me to turn on CEC on the TV. I checked multiple times and CEC was turned on in the Samsung TV settings. I tried using a different HDMI cable and the Beam would not detect the TV at all. Attempted again using the Sonos supplied HDMI cable and again, it could detect the TV but not that CEC was turned on in the TV. Very frustrating since before installation I tried using the Beam with my 2017 LG OLED tv without any issues when connecting via HDMI-ARC. Why should a tv that’s three years newer not be able to connect via HDMI-Arc but a three year old tv can?  

I resorted to using the optical adapter but this is less than ideal as there is a loss of functionality.  In addition, the Beam cannot be placed below the tv as expected due to logistical issues of connecting it to the Connect One box for the TV.  Hence the Beam now sits off to the right side to allow connection with the shorter Sonos supplied HDMI cable.

Any chance someone has experienced this issue before and found a way to resolve it?  I have searched and can’t find anyone with a similar issue.  I called Sonos and was told this is a tv problem and not one Sonos can do much about.  That doesn’t sound right nor sit well.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

There are at least a couple of threads in the Home Theater section of the forum regarding the Samsung Frame  TV. Have you checked there? Other owners may have some experience to share. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

The Samsung Frame is a crapshoot of compatibility over HDMI-ARC. Depends on the model and geography (as that determines whether the One Box is used or not).

There are at least a couple of threads in the Home Theater section of the forum regarding the Samsung Frame  TV. Have you checked there? Other owners may have some experience to share. 

I’ve looked and have not found a similar problem where the tv would not connect to the Beam from the very start.  Many complaints of losing connection, but nothing specific relating to the Beam telling me that CEC is not turned on when the TV says it is.  

The Samsung Frame is a crapshoot of compatibility over HDMI-ARC. Depends on the model and geography (as that determines whether the One Box is used or not).

Interesting that geography would play an issue.  One would think that the Frame is a fairly popular model and that there shouldn’t be any connection issues since CEC is fairly standard.  But I guess there is.  Very disappointing since you would think a sound bar that came out two-three years ago wouldn’t have issues with a TV model that was released this year.  Guess I’ll have to wait until Samsung or Sonos figures this issue out with a firmware patch, though I’m not holding my breath.  If stores were open I would have returned, but since this setup is for my parents and we ordered online, too difficult to return.  Looks like I’ll have to settle for optical connection even though that seems really silly with both the tv and soundbar are relatively new to the market.  

I have this problem as well but the optical cable solution doesn’t work. The 2020 Frame TV does not work with SONOS full stop. Very annoying. Sonos should have told us about the problem before purchasing all this equipment.