Answered

Samsung bd-j5500

• 13 October 2018
  • 14 replies

Does anyone know if the Samsung bd-j5500 supports dts to DD on the fly and compatible with the playbar?
icon

Best answer by opsman 15 October 2018, 10:25

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

14 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +3
Looking at its User Manual it should convert on the fly as do most of the Samsung players.
Thanks for the reply. Will give it a go.
Looking at its User Manual it should convert on the fly as do most of the Samsung players.
What am I looking for in the manual to check other models?
Userlevel 2
Badge +3
The sound settings - as shown in link:-

https://www.manualslib.com/manual/944708/Samsung-Bd-J5500.html?page=12#manual

I've had the 7500, 8500 and now the 9500 and they all convert on the fly and the sound settings page looks similar for all these. They all work brilliantly!!
The sound settings - as shown in link:-

https://www.manualslib.com/manual/944708/Samsung-Bd-J5500.html?page=12#manual

I've had the 7500, 8500 and now the 9500 and they all convert on the fly and the sound settings page looks similar for all these. They all work brilliantly!!

Awesome thanks. Would the smart apps (Netflix mainly) also output 5.1 via optical?
Userlevel 2
Badge +3
Don't know your setup but mine is :- M9500 to Sony TV (HDMI), TV to Soundbar (Optical). I haven't ever tried Optical direct from player to Soundbar.
I always use my TV for Netflix and that outputs in 5.1. Will try via player tonight and let you know.
You're a star thank you. My current tv (under discussion in my house) doesn't support hmdi pass through to optical so looking at options of using the dvd player and smart apps. Getting bored of stereo output.
Userlevel 2
Badge +3
Watched 30 mins of Warcraft on Netflix via M9500 last night, the sound output was Dolby DIgital 5.1 and the picture 1080p but my TV upscales to UHD so it looked brilliant and sounded great. This was with my normal setup but i can't see it being any different if you use optical out from player straight into Playbar. Hope this helps.
Awesome. Thank you for testing. Will speak to the gaffa and try and get approval.
Userlevel 2
Badge +3
Don't know what your budget is but try and get the latest model you can afford as the newer models always improve over previous. Good Luck !!!!!!!!🆒🆒🆒🆒
Thanks for all your help. Just seen that the 5500 is not optical. It's a coax output. So will need a later model anyway.
Userlevel 2
Badge +3
Be interested to know what you get and how you get on?
At the moment we are decorating and I have persuaded the wife to get a new TV. So think that will solve some of my issues as it will output 5.1 from the TV and supports arc. If that goes up the river then I am looking at the Samsung udb-m9000
Userlevel 2
Badge +3
Sony TV's can always guarantee to pass DD5.1 from HDMI via optical. I'm in no way affiliated to Sony just like their TV's, am hoping to upgrade to their AF8 OLED in the near future.