Question

Samsung 65Q80T, ARC and Sub Gen2

• 20 June 2020
  • 6 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

New to Sonos. Currently have a Samsung 65 J6300 Series and considering upgrading to Samsung 65Q80T to pair up with my new Arc and Sub, which I must say< I am enjoying tremendously.

My question is should I choose to upgrade it appears I should be able to get Atmos as the new Samsung indicates it has eARC. 

Is anyone currently using this set up and is it working as anticipated?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

Arcana device from HDFury can solve the problem. https://hdfury.com/product/4k-arcana-18gbps/

Device separates full audio (Dolby Atmos over Dolby TrueHD) from any external HDMI source and sends it to the Sonos Arc while also full passthrough 4k video up to 18gbps to TV!  They are accepting pre orders now.

Userlevel 4
Badge +2

On my Q90T I find it will sometimes have issues between uses of the TV (e.g. if the TV goes into standby mode and I use it again later in the same day or next day, audio cut-outs happen).  This isn’t every time, but frequent enough. And when it happens, the cut-outs occur between once every 1 to two minutes or so, sometimes it is once every 5 to 10 minutes.

BUT I also found that even if it appears to be good, a single cut-out can happen during a 2 hour use. I can’t say that it occurs every time, but it seems to be pretty close.  I’m curious, in this case, if there is an issue during some form of handshake/check that periodically occurs. I’m not entirely sure if that is how HDMI/HDCP work, but here is an old article: https://www.eetimes.com/hdmi-dvi-hdcp-handshake-problems-how-to-avoid-them/

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

Well I took the plunge yesterday and picked up a Samsung Q80T. Hooked it up and ended up with intermittent audio. Power cycled the ARC and TV and the magic began. 
I’ve heard some have issues when starting up the next day that the intermittent audio had returned and that they needed to either power cycle again, unplug the HDMI cable from eArc and re plug or had to disable Atmos in the TV settings and re-enable for the sound to work properly. 
I’m happy to report that I have not had any issues restarting the system the next day. Atmos is working amazingly well. Quite an experience frankly in my small theatre room. 
My fingers are crossed that it all continues to work flawlessly.

Userlevel 4
Badge +2

New to Sonos. Currently have a Samsung 65 J6300 Series and considering upgrading to Samsung 65Q80T to pair up with my new Arc and Sub, which I must say< I am enjoying tremendously.

My question is should I choose to upgrade it appears I should be able to get Atmos as the new Samsung indicates it has eARC. 

I have the Samsung 65” Q80T with the Arc (via eARC), Sub (3rd gen), and 2 One SLs as rears and I’m am getting Atmos from Apple TV 4K from iTunes Movies, Apple TV+, Netflix, Disney+ and Prime Movies. I will try HBO+ and VUDU next. Also getting Atmos from Netflix and Prime Movies via native apps on Q80T.

The only issue I’m having is when I turn off the TV at night then turn it back on the next day, the sound will play for 5 to 10 seconds then cut out for 1 to 2 seconds repeatedly. I don’t know  if it’s the TV or the Arc that creates this issue. I disable Dolby Atmos Compatibility on the TVs sound menu. Let it refresh.  Reenable it. And everything works again until I turn the TV off.

Definitely  issues with Samsung TVs and the Arc:

https://en.community.sonos.com/troubleshooting-228999/sonos-arc-samsung-q90t-sound-cutting-out-anyone-else-6843526

https://en.community.sonos.com/home-theater-228993/sonos-arc-samsung-frame-tv-earc-not-working-6842523

I have the Samsung 65” Q80T with the Arc (via eARC), Sub (3rd gen), and 2 One SLs as rears and I’m am getting Atmos from Apple TV 4K from iTunes Movies, Apple TV+, Netflix, Disney+ and Prime Movies. I will try HBO+ and VUDU next. Also getting Atmos from Netflix and Prime Movies via native apps on Q80T.

The only issue I’m having is when I turn off the TV at night then turn it back on the next day, the sound will play for 5 to 10 seconds then cut out for 1 to 2 seconds repeatedly. I don’t know  if it’s the TV or the Arc that creates this issue. I disable Dolby Atmos Compatibility on the TVs sound menu. Let it refresh.  Reenable it. And everything works again until I turn the TV off.

Userlevel 4
Badge +7

Please search in this thread for Audio Lag or Delay.  Also check the Samsung Forums.  You will find many including me that have this problem.  I have the Q80R, but I’m finding those with the 2020 ‘T’ models having the same problem.