Room name for sub on Arc different to Beam

• 26 December 2020
  • 3 replies

Badge +2

I have a Beam surround sound system in one room (the Cosy) and an Arc surround system in a different room (the Lounge).  Both are identical in that they have One SL surrounds and Gen 3 subs.  Both systems were bought within a couple of months of each other.

When looking at the speakers in the ‘about my system’ page in settings, the speakers in the Cosy are all listed as [Speaker type] Cosy (e.g. Sub: Cosy), including the surrounds and the Sub.

But for the Lounge the sub is showing differently.  Instead of ‘Sub:Lounge’ is is reporting it as Sub:Sub. The Arc and two One SLs are showing as ‘Lounge’.  Both systems work fine, and show up as properly grouped in both the room selection page and the room list in the main setting page.  The controls also work as they should i.e. the sub can be adjusted as part of the surround set up in the lounge.

Is this an indiosyncracy of how the Arc groups with a sub in a surround set up, or is there a glitch in my system?

For info, I am using Sonosnet (ie the Sonos mesh).  I have a total of 14 sonos speakers, but these are the only two subs.

Any observations would be appreciated!

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @blueskychris,

Thank you for reaching us and welcome to the Sonos Community and letting us know about your concern. 

Let me help you with this by suggesting the next troubleshooting steps and see if it will work with your Sub 

1. Remove a Sub from home theater setup
    • Open the Sonos app for iOS or Android.
    • From the Settings tab, tap System.
    • Under Products, tap the room you would like to remove the Sub from.
    • Tap Remove Sub.
    • Choose Room for Sub: Removes the Sub from the current room and adds it to a different room of your choice.
    • Don’t use Sub: Removes the Sub from the current room. The Sub will appear in the  System tab (Rooms tab if using the S1 Controller app) as “Sub (unused)” until you select it to associate it with another room.
  2. Re-add Sub
    • Open the Sonos app for iOS or Android.
    • From the  Settings tab, tap System.
    • Under Products, tap the room you would like to add your Sub to.
    • Tap Add Sub.
    • Follow the prompts to add the Sub to your Sonos system.

If you’re still getting the same display name on your Sonos system for your Sub, I recommend contacting our phone support to further check on this. Please feel free to reach out in the future if you have any other questions. You're always welcome here.

Badge +2

Thank you for this.  I tried these options before reaching out on the community.  I spoke to Sonos phone support and they said that this is an idiosyncrasy of using a Sub Gen3 with an Arc.  So I am not sure who to believe.  To be fair this was the same person who said that the problem with my errant Sonos One Gen2 (a week on - still not fixed) may be because I am using the alarm functionality.

The Sub is working as part of the surround system, so my post was more out of technical interest than a mission critical problem.  I’m grateful to you for picking up this post, and for the input from a Sonos employee - it is just a shame no one from Sonos has picked up my threads on my Sonos One Gen 2 which is faulting, and a week later is still not resolved.

FWIW I’ve seen this on occasion in About My System. It appears to be a quirk, and doesn’t affect the functionality.