Answered

Roku Ultra + Playbar

Just setup a Roku Ultra (2017) to my Sony x900e. I have a Sonos Playbar connected to the Sony x900e via optical. Any advice on why I am not getting any sound output from the Roku Ultra? I have a ps4 on another hdmi input and the Playbar works fine there.
icon

Best answer by illtakespam 26 March 2018, 03:58

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

11 replies

It's likely that you need to set the audio settings on the Roku to be Dolby Digital, rather than anything else (including Dolby Digital Plus). I suspect that your TV is passing through an audio signal that can't be read by the PLAYBAR.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Yes I think it defaults in sound setting to Dolby Digital Plus and needs changed to Dolby Digital (just regular)
Thanks for the replies above. I tried switching the audio settings from "auto" to Dolby Digital and unfortunately not producing any sound output.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Connected via hdmi to tv. You try a reboot of tiki and confirm the setting took.
Sorry Chris, what does "tiki" mean?
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Sorry should have said reboot of roku. Spell check doesn’t like the word.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
And Make sure you didn’t pick Dolby digital plus.
All good, thanks Chris. I see you're helping me out on another thread and was able to resolve the issue by resetting/rebooting everything. Audio is now coming through properly. Do you happen to know if the actual new roku controller with IR can control the volume of the Playbar? I tried setting it up thru the sonos app, but didn't have any luck.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
I don’t know a lot about rokus. If the remote will output ir it should control the playbar. But you have to set the roku remote to a tv ....any tv so it will have an ir command set I assume.
All good, thanks Chris. I see you're helping me out on another thread and was able to resolve the issue by resetting/rebooting everything. Audio is now coming through properly. Do you happen to know if the actual new roku controller with IR can control the volume of the Playbar? I tried setting it up thru the sonos app, but didn't have any luck.

illtakespam, so what exactly was the fix? also, did you get 5.1 sound working on your sonos?

I have Sonos Playbar + 2x Play:1 and I am getting only stereo sound via sonos on netflix etc via roku ultra.

Thanks

Marek
I had the same issue with a Roku Ultra (2017). I ended up getting the older Roku Ultra (2016) and now I get Dolby Digital 5.1 from the Roku. The 2016 model is the only Roku that will convert Dolby Digital Plus to Dolby Digital. All the native Roku apps send DD+ by default which the Playbar can’t handle.

https://forums.roku.com/viewtopic.php?t=109959