Roku remote causes high pitch noise when using it for volume control

• 11 August 2020
  • 3 replies

I have the Playbar and I have two issues. 
1. Our Roku works to control volume, but the first time I click volume up or down, the bar gives off a high pitched noise and it is very annoying. 
2. I am unable to sync my 2018 Samsung QLED tv remote to control the volume. Any tricks to try and get this resolved? 

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @jarvisjt0606.

Thanks for reaching out and welcome to the community!

Thank you for your detailed post outlining this issue, I’d be glad to help and try to figure this out.

1. The Playbar is using optical connection and only supports IR remotes and will not work with Bluetooth, WiFi Direct, or RF-only remotes. Kindly verify what type of Roku remote you have?

You may also check the article below from Roku support about enhanced remote won't control the volume on soundbar using optical.

https://community.roku.com/t5/Remotes-Accessories/Enhanced-remote-won-t-control-volume-on-optical-connected-soundbar/td-p/512379 

2.If you’re using Samsung One Remote, it doesn’t output infrared (IR) signals by default, which is essential to pair it with Sonos.

Follow the steps on this article, to configure your Samsung One Remote to control your Sonos home theater speaker. 

Let me know how it goes and if you have any other questions or run into any issues, please do not hesitate to reach out.

I am having this exact same issue but its when i first hit the volume on my Samsung One Remote. It makes a high pitched noise the first time i use the volume each time the tv is powered on. I have the One Remote set up correctly for the Playbar, and it is connected using the optical cable SONOS provided. Might have to take it back to Costco if i cannot fix this issue.

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @hunterb2003.

Thanks for reaching out and for your detailed post, let me help and try to figure this out.

You can try to reset the Playbar to its factory setting and see if the noise will return.

NOTE: This process will delete registration information, content saved to My Sonos, and music services from a Sonos product. Resetting all products within your system will permanently delete your system’s data. It cannot be restored.

If that doesn’t help, it would be best to reach out to Sonos Supportso we can take a closer look at this in real-time to expedite the process.

I suggest our phone team for they have more resources available on their system for advanced troubleshooting, and the tools our agents can use would be very useful in this case. 

If you have any other questions, please feel free to let us know, we’re always here to help.