Rear Speaker Placement for Sonos Arc

• 23 February 2021
  • 5 replies

Hi, does anyone have any recommendations for sonos 1 placement as rear speakers in the living room setup pictured.  Ceilings are 3m high and the room extends to the left of the listening position a few meters more than what is pictured, meaning that the home theater setup is a few meters off center in the room left to right.  I imagine the placement in the kitchen (B)  being better for music filling the room, but are they too far away from the sofa, and too close to the ceiling and walls?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

Userlevel 7

4.8 meters is a pretty good distance from your sofa to the kitchen wall. I would go with option A and use these white Sonos speaker stands: https://www.sonos.com/en-us/shop/speaker-stand-pair-one-play1-white.html

They will look nice in your living room. The only problem is finding a way to hide the power cords.

Two other options to consider would be a pair of Fives mounted on the rear wall or a pair of in-ceiling speakers powered by a Sonos Amp.

Userlevel 7

What is the distance from your sofa to the Arc? Sofa to kitchen wall?

The distance from the front edge of the sofa to Arc will be about 2.8 to 3.0 meters.  Distance from the front edge of the sofa to the edge of the kitchen cabinets is 4.8m (horizontal measurement).  The sofa is about 1m deep.  

Thank you for your suggestions.  The wall above the kitchen cabinets is a false wall.  If Sonos 5s were recessed into the wall above the kitchen cabinets would the sound quality suffer (recessed and by the ceiling)?

Userlevel 7

Thank you for your suggestions.  The wall above the kitchen cabinets is a false wall.  If Sonos 5s were recessed into the wall above the kitchen cabinets would the sound quality suffer (recessed and by the ceiling)?

The Sonos Five was designed to play in an open space. If you mounted it in a recessed wall space, I would imagine it would probably be ok as long as there is a few inches of space all around the speaker, especially behind the speaker. And if the speaker is angled down into the room, the ceiling shouldn’t affect the sound too much.