Ray vs Play 3: music and radio quality

• 12 September 2022
  • 8 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +15

I’m debating replacing the Play 3 in the living room, which sits under the TV, with a Ray, for the obvious benefit of playing TV audio through it. Right now, the Play 3 just used for music and NPR and I don’t want to downgrade that capability. There’s only a slim chance of adding surrounds.

(I know it sounds weird, but because of the house layout and available walls, the big TV with the beam is in a bedroom, and the living room TV is an afterthought.)

8 replies

The PLAY:3 was released in 2011. It was never designed for TV use, and no matter how you’re feeding it the TV source, it would be affected by the minimum 75 ms delay.

The Sonos Ray was released this year. One might assume there has been some gain of knowledge in speaker design the intervening years, much as there has been in the software. It is also designed for use with a TV set with an optical input, not subject to that minimum 75ms delay.

If it were me, I’d add the Ray to the TV, and place the PLAY:3 elsewhere for music use. 

Userlevel 6
Badge +15

I never said I was using it as a TV source, I’m aware it’s not capable. I’m asking if replacing the Play:3 gives me worse music. I was hoping to find someone with both speakers who could compare the sound. Sorry for the confusion. 

I never said I was using it as a TV source, I’m aware it’s not capable. I’m asking if replacing the Play:3 gives me worse music. I was hoping to find someone with both speakers who could compare the sound. Sorry for the confusion. 

I don’t  have both speakers, but I would expect the Ray to sound better for music in a single setting setup.   As mentioned, it’s obviously more modern than the 3 and designed for stereo, in addition to gaining airplay and TV support.  I do think the audio of the Play:3 is really good and may do a better job in the bass range though. I would order from Sonos to get the return policy so you can return if need be.

Userlevel 7

Although I agree with the suggestion by @melvimbe to audition the Ray against the Play 3…I think the Ray would out-perform the Play 3 hands down.

I don’t own a Ray as all of my TV’s can take advantage of the Arc and Beam 2 capabilities. However if you read the Sonos marketing …exceptional bass reproduction is mentioned several times as well as balance and tuning out of the box. 

Also, IMO the Ray should sound more like a traditional speaker.  That because a lot of the acoustic tricks employed by the Arc and Beam 2 are not present which IMO can color music to a slight un-natural tone especially when used as standalone’s. 

Additionally, the Ray can be tucked into a crevice (as shown in Sonos advertising) which should enhance it’s low-end while not belying it’s forward facing speakers/acoustics. 

Userlevel 6
Badge +15

Best Buy had an open box in the perfect color for that room so I grabbed it yesterday. I’ll try to do an ABX with my Play 3 this weekend and post the (subjective) results.  Likely won’t even need a blind test, comparing 2009 tech with 2021. 

Userlevel 6
Badge +14

I have a Ray with a TV in my spare room . I really like it for music as well as for the TV

Userlevel 7

@airforceteacher

Well…your concerns about low end with the Ray are no more if you want to spend a few more dollars and purchase the new Sonos Sub Mini!! Designed for the Ray, Beam, One. One SL, Play 1 and Amp.

I have a Ray with a TV in my spare room . I really like it for music as well as for the TV

What size is your spare room approximately?

thanks.