Answered

Question about the Sonos app's voice enhancement feature

• 14 November 2017
  • 2 replies

Badge +2
I just got my 5.1 system today, and I find that the voice enhancement works great to bring out voices. I'm not sure specifically how it affects music when activated. I decided to try an experiment by putting it on and off while listening to just music but unless I am missing something, apparently if you have it turned on for TV watching, it is deactivated during the playing of music with the TV off. I assume that in that I don't see that choice in the app when simply playing music. Is my assumption about it being off during strictly playing music accurate or must it be turned off when finished watching TV prior to listening to just music? I'd be curious as to opinions as to how it affects background music when activated during the watching of TV with both music and dialogue.
icon

Best answer by Ryan S 8 December 2017, 20:37

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Hi Pedalmasher, the settings for voice enhancement and for night mode are only active when the audio source is the TV input. When you switch to music they aren't active.

The PLAYBAR and PLAYBASE don't know when the TV audio is playing music vs other audio, so it would all be going through those filters. In many ways, it might sound exactly the same, since the voice enhancement filter is designed to enhance audio, the vocals of songs would probably be clearer, and maybe some of the other notes muddled. It's difficult to say for sure, as it would change based on what is playing. But as always, you can test it out by turning the settings on and off to see if you can pick out a difference.
Badge +2
Hi Pedalmasher, the settings for voice enhancement and for night mode are only active when the audio source is the TV input. When you switch to music they aren't active.

The PLAYBAR and PLAYBASE don't know when the TV audio is playing music vs other audio, so it would all be going through those filters. In many ways, it might sound exactly the same, since the voice enhancement filter is designed to enhance audio, the vocals of songs would probably be clearer, and maybe some of the other notes muddled. It's difficult to say for sure, as it would change based on what is playing. But as always, you can test it out by turning the settings on and off to see if you can pick out a difference.

Thanks Ryan!