Answered

question about optical outlet

I am interested in getting the new Sonos Ray but our tv is a bit older. We have a digital audio out that looks really similar to an optical outlet, which is required for the Ray. Does anyone know if that port will work?

icon

Best answer by Airgetlam 12 May 2022, 02:14

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

9 replies

That is exactly what I was wondering and hoping! Thank you!

Userlevel 7

Here is a picture of the back of our older Toshiba tv. Thanks for your input, all! 

The Digital Audio Out port will work with the Sonos Ray.

Here is a picture of the back of our older Toshiba tv. Thanks for your input, all! 

There is an optical to HDMI adapter included with the Ray, so if it is indeed an optical port, then you can connect the Ray to that TV. 

You’re thinking about the Beam.   The Ray actually has an optical port only, no HDMI-ARC to optical adapter included or needed.

Edit: Although you can get a separate HDMI-optical switch/extractor if your TV isn’t compatible. Not included with the Beam or sold by Sonos.  In this case, your source (cable, streaming box, blu ray player, etc) would connect to the extractor...the extractor send audio via optical to the Ray, and HDMI to your TV.

My bad, I misread the specs.

But if it is electrical digital, you’ll need some sort of adapter to change the signal from electrical to optical. 

I see that these devices are quite cheap and some are bi directional that will do Optical In to Digital Coax out, or the other way around based on need, and come with a power supply. Are these commodity devices where the quality of the converted signal reaching the target device - using the Coax to Optical route if that was to be the Ray - is the same regardless of any price point differences? Is the conversion process trivial, is my question, even more trivial than it is in DACs these days?

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

@kathrynd Can you uplaod a picture of the audio out on your TV? What is the manufacturer and model?

There is an optical to HDMI adapter included with the Ray, so if it is indeed an optical port, then you can connect the Ray to that TV. 

You’re thinking about the Beam.   The Ray actually has an optical port only, no HDMI-ARC to optical adapter included or needed.

Edit: Although you can get a separate HDMI-optical switch/extractor if your TV isn’t compatible. Not included with the Beam or sold by Sonos.  In this case, your source (cable, streaming box, blu ray player, etc) would connect to the extractor...the extractor send audio via optical to the Ray, and HDMI to your TV.

Depends on the output. If it’s mini-optical, yes, there are adapters. But if it is electrical digital, you’ll need some sort of adapter to change the signal from electrical to optical.