PS4: Does Bitstream (MIx) transcode DTS to DD5.1?

• 20 April 2018
  • 5 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +5
For those of us with TV's that can pass 5.1, does the BItstream (Mix) setting enable the PS4 to transcode DTS to DD5.1 and pass it via HDMI to the TV, enabling the TV to then send the 5.1 via optical to the Playbar/Playbase?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +7
Good question, the PS4 definitely sends out dolby digital but I'm not sure about the transcoding - I assume you're asking this because you have some DVD or Bluray movies that are only encoding in DTS and not DD?

I can have a look around my home, maybe I have a DTS dvd I can test
Userlevel 5
Badge +7
Just checked and every single DVD or Bluray I have does not have DTS encoding, it's all Dolby

now I don't understand why people keep asking about DTS - all my movies, all my playstation and PC games - everything is in Dolby, who cares about DTS...
Userlevel 1
Yes it enables transcoding from DTS -> DD5.1.
However ONLY for the PS4 optical out.
Your TV will only receive PCM stereo via HDMI.

So you must get an optical switch to select either your TV or PS4 manually.

If you want to use your TV to route everything through it you may want to get an HDMI audio embedder to feed the optical audio signal from the PS4 back into the HDMI signal coming from your PS4. That comes in handy when using the Sonos Beam with ARC and Alexa, etc.
Userlevel 2
Badge +1
Just checked and every single DVD or Bluray I have does not have DTS encoding, it's all Dolby

now I don't understand why people keep asking about DTS - all my movies, all my playstation and PC games - everything is in Dolby, who cares about DTS...

I just picked up a Sonos Beam and am encountering this problem now, it looks like a lot of newer Blu-rays e.g. Rogue One use DTS.
Userlevel 2
Badge +1
Yes it enables transcoding from DTS -> DD5.1.
However ONLY for the PS4 optical out.
Your TV will only receive PCM stereo via HDMI.

So you must get an optical switch to select either your TV or PS4 manually.

If you want to use your TV to route everything through it you may want to get an HDMI audio embedder to feed the optical audio signal from the PS4 back into the HDMI signal coming from your PS4. That comes in handy when using the Sonos Beam with ARC and Alexa, etc.

So just to confirm,
  1. if the HDMI connection is used from the PS4, set to HDMI out, prioritise Bitstream (Dolby) and Blu-ray set to Bitstream (Direct) then DTS is not transcoded;
  2. if the Optical connection is used from the PS4, set Optical out with only Dolby Digital 5.1 checked and Blu-ray set to Bitstream(?) then DTS is transcoded?