Projector Sound

• 4 July 2021
  • 9 replies

I have a semi permanent projector installation with Apple TV as my only source of video. I have an existing Sonos move for the garden that I move into place near the projector screen when needed and connect through airplay which is ok. 

im now in a position where I want to either add another sonos move for a stereo pair or I install a sonos arc (have power above the projector screen but will also be connected through airplay). I’m aware either isn’t going to give me the best “cinema experience” but at best it’s for sports events, the occasional event or my daughter having a film night with friends. 

im not sure which one to go for. The arc could be used on another tv if the projector is made redundant, where the additional move can be taken in the garden as a stereo pair.

what is everyone’s thoughts? 

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

9 replies

I think the Arc might be a bit of an overkill for what will be just stereo audio only .. out of the two items you mention I would have personally opted for a ‘Move’… but perhaps do not rule-out a pair of Roams, or maybe a Sonos Beam, or Amp, instead.

Is it definitely possible to stereo pair the Sonos move and stream audio through AirPlay?

Userlevel 7

Is it definitely possible to stereo pair the Sonos move and stream audio through AirPlay?

Yes, this is possible.

Yes, they can be stereo ‘paired’ or just simply ‘grouped’ together over a WiFi connection… the Airplay stream is still sent to just the one device only (the ‘controller’ - usually the left speaker in a stereo pair, or the first speaker selected in a group), which handles the audio/sync for both devices.

@dave_from_bath,

Have you not considered using the Sonos Amp instead, which can ‘perhaps’ be wired direct to the Projector if it has an optical-out, or even using a Sonos HT setup with an HDFury Arcana… something like this… (just ignore the TV in the below diagram)...

I don’t have the luxury of getting any type of cabling from the projector position. I only have power there by chance. Was always meant to be a temporary setup but starting to enjoy it more than planned. 

Userlevel 2
Badge +4

No reason to waste cash on an Arc unless you just happen to be sitting on 800$ you don't need.

If you just want a good stereo pair, you could easily do with the IKEA Symphonisk bookshelf speakers or the new Symphonisk picture frame speakers for half the price of a Move and a quarter of the price of an Arc. 

If you want portable speakers 2 x Roams is a more affordable option than a Move, although I haven't been very impressed with the Roam's battery life or output. 

Not seen the Ikea stuff before…..thats the kids bedroom sorted, Thankyou.

I think im going to “balls deep” and chase in a HDMI cable into my freshly plastered and painted walls and do what I should have done from the start. At least I will end up with something im happy with rather than wondering what if…………..

Userlevel 2
Badge +4

Not seen the Ikea stuff before…..thats the kids bedroom sorted, Thankyou.

I think im going to “balls deep” and chase in a HDMI cable into my freshly plastered and painted walls and do what I should have done from the start. At least I will end up with something im happy with rather than wondering what if…………..

Have fun!

If you are going to go full-in and put cables in the wall, make sure to get the highest-end HDMI cables. They should be 4k eARC-Compatible HDMI 2.0 or HDMI 2.1. (I think HDMI 3.0 is coming up?)  

Your projector might not be 4k, but you don't want to have to tear your wall out again in a few years when 4k becomes the new standard. 

It can be difficult to find long HDMI cables, especially good quality ones, but there are some 15 meter HDMI 2.0 cables on Amazon for a under 30£. Can't speak to their quality though.