Question

Projector/Apple TV/MacBook/Sonos hook-up

• 27 November 2017
  • 1 reply

I am trying to set-up a home theater, and would like to utilize the Sonos speakers that I already have: Play 1, Play 3, and Sonos Connect. I am looking to purchase a projector to use to stream videos from NetFlix, HBO, etc. Is there a way that I can use Apple TV together with my Sonos Connect to do this wirelessly? Or is there a cable that will run between my Connect and MacBook? I am hoping that I do not need to purchase a Playbar in order to play audio for movies and shows. Please let me know.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

1 reply

The Sonos products you own are not designed for tv audio, they are designed for effective whole house audio. You can surely connect the Apple TV or Macbook to the Connect (wired), but you won't be able to match the audio with the video on the tv, there'll be about at 70 ms delay. It doesn't bother some, but it is noticable. I currently am trying out using a CONNECT:AMP with a tv, and I'm not sure about the delay. I will mostly use the tv for sports, so it may not be that big of a deal

In case I misunderstood your question, the Sonos Connect cannot talk to your Apple TV, MacBook, or projector wirelessly. It also doesn't do any video, if that was a part of your requirements.

If the playbar/playbase isn't what you're looking for, it may be best to look at other alternatives. If you want to play music in the projector room in sync with the rest of your house, the connect will help you with that, as you probably already know.