Answered

Possible to use Port to feed audio to Beam (and maybe rears)?

• 10 February 2020
  • 4 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge
  • Trending Lyricist I
  • 16 replies

Hi - sorry if this has been asked before, but I couldn’t find this specific question.

I want to evaluate whether it is possible to use the HDMI input of a Sonos Port to transmit the audio from a HDMI input, such as a Blu-ray player, to my Beam (and potentially two rear speakers).

Specifically, we have a projector setup with all video devices in the back of the room (projector, multiple input devices such as a Blu-ray player, set-top-box, etc, and a HDMI switch to toggle between inputs). This also includes a HDMI splitter, with identical signals running to the projector (back of the room) and to the Sonos Beam (front of the room). So far so good, works flawlessly.

The thing is, this cable running to the front of the room is really bothering us. Would it be possible to -- instead of running it to the Beam directly -- have it go into a Sonos Port in the back of the room, which then transmits it to the Beam?

As the signal is already digital, it should work with little latency, right? And would rear speakers work as well, given that we may add these in a year or two?

Thank you so much for your input!

icon

Best answer by melvimbe 10 February 2020, 18:37

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

Too bad. So the only solution would be only to use the Apple TV with AirPlay 2 to the Beam, in order to cut this wire going across the room, right? Or am I missing something? 

Airplay2 is one option.  Some people have tried using wireless HDMI tech with mixed results.  I don’t think that would be any better than airplay 2, particullary if you aren’t going to use surround speakers.

Userlevel 1
Badge

If you were thinking of the Sonos Amp, not the Port, the answer is still no.  Whatever Sonos device is taking in the audio (HDMI-ARC or optical connection) must play the front audio channels.

Oops. I clearly was thinking about the Amp (or more specifically, I blindly assumed the Port would have some kind of digital input). But thanks for explaining the mechanism (input-device must play front audio).

Too bad. So the only solution would be only to use the Apple TV with AirPlay 2 to the Beam, in order to cut this wire going across the room, right? Or am I missing something? 

If you were thinking of the Sonos Amp, not the Port, the answer is still no.  Whatever Sonos device is taking in the audio (HDMI-ARC or optical connection) must play the front audio channels.

The Port doesn’t have an HDMI input.