Please add support for DTS for the Sonos Playbar.

Userlevel 2
A hifi homecinema soundbar without dts support seems not up to date for me. Are there any plans to add dts support?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

1190 replies

I really had no idea it didn't support dts. Luckily i stumbled on this post Sorry Sonos, not DTS no Sonos playbar purchase
out of curiosity, has there been any further headway? Going on 6 months, wold be nice to know if Sonos plans to update their playbar
Userlevel 3
Badge +3
From the consensus of posts I have read, the topic should be renamed to: "Please add a HDMI port and support for DTS on the Sonos Playbar." Cue Playbar:2
what about those of who have already purchased a play bar ? hopefully Sonos would make some sort of offer to existing owners if they added an HDMI connection
Userlevel 1
Badge +2
I haven't checked this topic since I got my two Playbars and was annoyed that they didn't support DTS. It's almost unbeleivable that I get better audio from my OTA cable box (5.1) than my Blu-ray collection which is increasingly mostly DTS which is then downmixed to 2.0 stereo for the Playbar. Crazy, and extremely frustrating.
Could Sonos please give us a answer if they gonna add DTS support or not? It doesnt matter if it gonna be right now or near future, just so we know if they are gonna work on it or if we are suppose to move on to other hunting areas. Please give us something!
Userlevel 2
Could Sonos please give us a answer if they gonna add DTS support or not? It doesnt matter if it gonna be right now or near future, just so we know if they are gonna work on it or if we are suppose to move on to other hunting areas. Please give us something!
Yes, please!
Sonos, this is really easy. Just formally reply to this thread...................................................................................................................................................................
I had plans to pick up a Playbar tonight, but I'm now having second thoughts as it doesn't appear to be future-proofed. I called the helpline and they couldn't shed any more light on the situation - surely a statement needs to be made or people are going to start looking elsewhere!
Yeah I still dont get it either. Don't get me wrong, I love my playbar each day I'm listening music from it. Too bad I cant use it for my blu-rays... How much effort is it to post a heads up? Greetings from a (half) satisfied customer
Userlevel 3
Badge +3
Come on sonos, give a comment. Brand loyalty will only stretch so far.
News please
Presumably sonos would like to include DTS but they can't - as DTS signal can't be handled by an optical cable? I have a playbar and 2 play3s as surrounds and to be fair even the 'fake surround' sound is pretty awesome.....
Userlevel 1
A few days ago two playbar related ideas have changed status to 'planned'. Play Full Stereo Through PLAY:3 Satellites Bonded with PLAYBAR CONNECT:AMP for surround channels from the PLAYBAR. Let's hope dts support for playbar is the big surprise to come and hasn't been neglected...
Presumably sonos would like to include DTS but they can't - as DTS signal can't be handled by an optical cable? I have a playbar and 2 play3s as surrounds and to be fair even the 'fake surround' sound is pretty awesome.....
Standard DTS is perfectly able to be transmitted via optical cable. It is the HD version, DTS-HD/MA, that is only transmitted via HDMI.
Userlevel 1
Dear Sonos This idea has been under consideration since Playbar launch. I really would like to be able to watch Blu-Rays with their native sound format, rather than down-mixed stereo. Hopefully this is not too much to ask from a top class system. Is there any update ? Thank you.
Unbelievable, this is still "under consideration". Who is considering what? As for now i would appreciate ANY information to this issue which is way better than silence. Owning the whole surround setup i'm still amazed of hearing music and meanwhile made a poor "arrangement" watching movies with DTS. But i cannot longer recommend sonos to my people (as i did since years) until this issue is cleared.
I would also like to see DTS support. I have been putting off buying a playbar for a long time and I am now thinking about going a different route. I would appreciate an update.
I wanted to buy a bundle (playbar, sub, 2xPlay3) but not without DTS and: https://ask.sonos.com/sonos/topics/switch_play_3s_between_surround_for_tv_and_stereo_pair_for_music
Userlevel 2
All my plans to extend my system are on hold until we can see some progress here. Too bad that it takes Sonos so long to give a concrete statement on the topic.
Please add DTS to the playbar Sonos so that I can buy it too. There are 2 clear reasons to do it: 1/ Many people have a problem with the single optical input and the fact their TV does not output a 5.1 signal. Well, if you look at the latest range of blu ray players from Oppo, you will see that their problem is solved in a fantastic way. Image from the blu ray to the screen while 5.1 sound from the blu ray to the playbar. Indeed, the blu ray handles all types of input connections instead of the playbar (tv, sat, apple tv, etc.). So an upgrade from Sonos on this big issue is not needed anymore!! 2/ on the other hand, an upgrade on the DTS signal is very much needed! Take for instance Game of Thrones on blu ray: only via DTS... need I say more? Conclusion: Sonos, you to explain more on point 1 while improving on point 2. I will buy immediately and others too! oh and just a detail, buying a playbar in my case would mean also buying a sub and a second play 3...
Userlevel 1
Bose made the mistake of not supporting DTS in their earlier Lifestyle systems. I understand there is a licensing fee attached, so naturally a company may think short term and think there are so few people who will notice this missing. Sadly, it's really a case of getting black marks and negative reviews when your product does not support a feature that is supported by the competitors. So you become bullied into including it after a while. So the story goes with Bose (who now supports this). As an integrator, I really want to sell the heck out of this system, so I need to eliminate the negatives, so please SONOS, help me with this. --Jay
as an owner of a play 3 and connect, and demoing a full Sonos 5.1 setup i am keen to replace my current HT setup with a Sonos 5.1 but the lack of DTS is off putting... luckily my ps3 can work around this by taking any surround track on BR or game and converting to 5.1, unsure if the ps4 will offer this tho and the ps4 will replace the ps3 in the main room come november please can we have some further communication Sonos? is this even possible in your view via firmware? will there be a playbar 2?
Just got the play 5 and love it. Quality is great so I want to buy the whole surround sound kit. After reading that it doesn't have DTS I won't spend the money until it is offers DTS. Please let us know when the soundbar is upgraded as it would look great with my TV and it is my preferred soundbar
Sat down to watch a disney film with my 10 month old son I have a playbar two play 3s and sub, bluray player feeding the playbar via optical then we hit a snag nearly all Disney blurays have dts only uk sound tracks! Not sure who's more upset me that my £1700 home cinema can't handle dts or my son as the disney collection is now redundant! I may now have to swap my disney blurays for DVDs!! Come on give the playbar dts support make me and my son happy!
Userlevel 3
Badge +3
You should provide some confirmation of your intentions regarding DTS firmware upgrades, (even if it is only due at the end of the year as rumours have it !!) Without any comment from you,many of your loyal and potential customers are going to start looking elsewhere.
I have budget now for two Play 3s as back speakers. So please confirm DTS Support (confirmation on planning to support it would be enough) then I'll immediately buy, otherwise not...