Please add support for DTS for the Sonos Playbar.

Userlevel 2
A hifi homecinema soundbar without dts support seems not up to date for me. Are there any plans to add dts support?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

1190 replies

Userlevel 2
DTS is a must on an expensive product like this. I want to connect my bluray direct for best sound, but can listen to 9 out of 10 of my blurays as they only have DTS steams.
Userlevel 2
DTS is a must on an expensive product like this. I want to connect my bluray direct for best sound, but can listen to 9 out of 10 of my blurays as they only have DTS steams.
Userlevel 1
After 4 months of 'Under consideration' a little more information about your intentions would be well appreciated!
Any news on the issue? I would even be willing to pay for the codec. As long as the DTS codec is not added I am not going to buy the sub. Any official statement would be appreciated!
Come on add DTS on Playbar NOW!
Yeah.. I don't normally add to these sort of threads; and I was really excited up until I read on the forums about the lack of DTS support. I mean really guys, I was so tempted, and this stopped me. You've got tons of people on here who want to buy but won't because of this, and it's 2k a pop, you'll make your money back fast. Just dedicate some resource to it, it really can't be that hard. and if it is, just tell us? Let us know you're working on it. I want something in the next few months, if it's not fixed I'll have to get something else. Billy
This is a showstopper for me too since the primary reason for getting the playbar is for the home cinema experience, and dts is regularly sent and to get "unupported" and silence is not alright. Fortunately for you I like the system so this won't stop me from getting my Play3s instead.
I have about 18 different components from Sonos, most recently PlayBar and Sub. Am an evangelist for the company with all my friends -- probably 5 folks have started their Sonos systems based on my recommendations. I cannot believe that the PlayBar (which I ordered but have not yet set up) does not have DTS. I did not even check the specs assuming such was de minimus. Sonos, please state your intention as to this matter! Steve
Userlevel 2
I have a sonos system from 2008 zp90, zp120, controller and a me and my wife we are pretty happy with it. Now I have a new Sony TV 55HX and a Popcornhour A400 and I want to buy sonos soundbar but I want to watch movies,etc with DTS. Please take into consideration sonos fans and add DTS for soundbar . Till then I will have to buy 2 play:3 and wait ...wait...a while..
Userlevel 2
Playbar DTS support pls!
Playbar support PLS! Waiting for it to add a couple of Play:3 to my system
The only reason for me, NOT buying this. When DTS is up and running, you got an instant buyer!
Userlevel 1
The only reason for me, NOT buying this. When DTS is up and running, you got an instant buyer!
Userlevel 4
Badge +2
John M (Official Rep) 4 months ago We've marked this topic Under Consideration.
Sonos your products on the whole are of a high standard and feature rich but not incorporating DTS in to a home Cinema kit seems a little short-sighted. DTS has been a stable in any home cinema for 10 years+ so come on and play the game and get your product up to spec pronto
Hi, this lack of support - no DTS - makes me gonna wait until buying this product. Please add this support asap
Userlevel 3
Badge +3
The number of comments on this issue has now almost reached 500 users. If we assume that all of these are owners of the playbar AND, as dts 5.1 is the problem, we can also assume they will have additional play 3 units and a sub. All 500 users have spent then around £1700 which represents £850,000 of revenue for Sonos. Each of these 500 users have probably told at least one other person of their dissatisfaction with Sonos, who then tell others and so on. How much revenue are Sonos losing by not addressing the problem. As we have seen no positive remarks or response on this I can only conclude that they have no interest in customer satisfaction or the potential damage this issue could have to their future business.
Userlevel 2
Just designed and built a corner wall with a fireplace and have to finalize what I'm doing with the speakers as space is limited. For the premium Sonos charges (really don't get the price of a Connect for what it offers), this was not really well thought out at all. If it was licensing costs, you all should be shot. If your wireless network chokes on the more intensive DTS signal, well you should've thought of that before you brought it to market. For what you charge and how you market, the idea that this is even a discussion is just abysmal. Personally, I'd rather see a Connect 3ch amp, and let me pick my own front three speakers or slave 3ch soundbar along with my own sub. Much more flexible over the long haul. Also solves the separation issue too.
Userlevel 2
When bandwith really is the problem, I wonder if it is possible to downgrade the incoming dts signal to a lesser dd 5.1 signal by the playbar itself? An actual statement of Sonos would be great!
Badge
When bandwith really is the problem, I wonder if it is possible to downgrade the incoming dts signal to a lesser dd 5.1 signal by the playbar itself? An actual statement of Sonos would be great!
DTS "downsample" to DD51 would me okay for me! No sound is just….. dumb.
Having recently downsized living space wise (from a house to an apartment), I have been seriously considering selling my home theater receiver & speaker setup and purchasing the Sonos Soundbar and sub. I like the convenience of being able to use all of the streaming audio programs/apps that I enjoy via my computer/smart phone as well as the easy expandability to add music to other rooms via the purchase of a play3 or play5 speaker. The one thing that has made the move to Sonos a NON-STARTER for me is the lack of DTS support. I have a fairly extensive Blu-ray collection and I am simply not willing to purchase a system that doesn't support DTS. Looks like I may be looking for non-powered "sound bar" alternatives and keeping my home theater receiver after-all. You are losing sales and potential customers, Sonos...
Userlevel 2
I am absolutely appalled at the audio limitations of the Sonos Playbar system. I was planning to purchase it but am now glad I did some further research. I will not be purchasing it until the PCM issue is fixed!
Userlevel 2
Come on... Still under consideration? Please, Sonos management, it seems like the obvious way or you have something planned that might even be better to address this issue?
Badge +1
Any news ? It's been marked as "Under Consideration" 4 month ago. A clear statement what the result of the consideration was would be nice. If it won't be added customers might want to wait for the Playbar v2 with DTS support and HDMI connection.
Userlevel 1
Customers ARE already waiting for playbar software/hardware v2.0 supporting DTS. @Sonos: Please don't bother us with marketing campaigns - just give us DTS support