Please add support for DTS for the Sonos Playbar.

Userlevel 2
A hifi homecinema soundbar without dts support seems not up to date for me. Are there any plans to add dts support?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

1190 replies

Lack of DTS and ability to accept multiple inputs (as TV is not able to send DD5.1 over to slink) are the main reasons that I will not buy Sonos for my Home theater needs... Real shame 😞
lack of dts spoils what is otherwise a perfect product. works great with my plex sever on my samsung but I have to change the o/p of all my DTS files to PCM to get audio not buying a sub and 2* play 3 till DTS is supported. can't believe Sonos charge what they do and then scrimp on a DTS licence.
Userlevel 2
I have a 5.1 system too. Please add DTS support.
If/When Sonos decides to support DTS, does anyone know if this will be a simple software upgrade or will we have to go out and buy a new Playbar? Wasn't sure if DTS is a function of software or hardware?
If/When Sonos decides to support DTS, does anyone know if this will be a simple software upgrade or will we have to go out and buy a new Playbar? Wasn't sure if DTS is a function of software or hardware?
A Sonos rep told me a firmware upgrade was possible but Sonos don't want to go to the expense of a licence
Love a response on the official position - really soon - system is great.... But my lush samsung tv support DTS via optical. Enabling this would get me buying play 3's for surround. Come on Sonos - do it!
Userlevel 1
I agree it's a horrific state of affairs that the Playbar doesn't support DTS - and I +1 it's addition here - if you use a Playstation 3 as a Blu-ray/DVD player it's worth knowing that if you connect the PS3 to the Playbar with a TOSLINK, the PS3 actually re-encodes DTS to Dolby on the fly. So I get true 5.1 from all my Blu-rays.
Userlevel 2
lack of dts spoils what is otherwise a perfect product. works great with my plex sever on my samsung but I have to change the o/p of all my DTS files to PCM to get audio not buying a sub and 2* play 3 till DTS is supported. can't believe Sonos charge what they do and then scrimp on a DTS licence.
Yup they've made too many compromises (no HDMI also comes to mind) on a premium priced product.
Disgraceful Over £1000 for a sound system that doesn't play audio on half my Blu-rays. I won't be recommending this system to anyone until its sorted out
This has become a real pain. My wife had purchased this as an anniversary gift for me and we were looking forward to purchasing a set of play 3 speakers. Unfortunately, its proven to be more inconvenient than enjoyable without DTS support. A lot of the movies I play use DTS, I can use the 2 channel work around but my TV gives me that so what's the point? I'll be looking to see if I can return this. 😞
The "fake 5.1" (Dolby Pro Logic) that the Playbar does is not bad (through the downmixed stereo optical out of basically every TV that's on the market right now). And I am sure a lot of Sonos customers don't pay close attention to that because it sounds "good enough". HOWEVER - I just hooked up the optical out of my Blu-ray player directly to my Playbar and WHAT A DIFFERENCE! The "true 5.1" sound simply BLEW ME AWAY. It's night and day.The fake Dolby Pro Logic 5.1 does not come close. I am sorry, Sonos. NOW - why do we still not have DTS decoding in the Playbar???This is incredibly frustrating. With one Blu-ray disc (Dolby 5.1) I was able to hear the fantastic potential or true 5.1 through the Playbar, but unfortunately all my other blu-rays have DTS audio only. I just spent an absolute premium on a 5.1 Playbar system (and I have to say - the stystem is a dream come true when it comes to setup and ease-of-use) - yet, I can't use it for DTS 5.1 out of my Blu-ray player. Please, Sonos, do fix this ASAP. Telling us this feature is "under consideration" is not good enough. You should be appologizing to all of us for selling us a Ferrari with tires that won't allow to drive faster than 35 mph. You're having a bit of a PR nightmare on your hands here (and rightfully so). The Sonos Playbar DTS debacle is all over the internet. This can't be good for future sales... Please do the one right thing, and fix this in a firmware upgrade - better sooner than later. Thanks.
Userlevel 2
Badge
The lack of response is crazy. I guess Sonos aren't in a good negotiating position with DTS license pricing now that their entire PlayBar customer base is screaming for it.
If i could, i would give another +1 (or +10'000) for this feature. Is anybody out there? Is there any information on this? It drives me crazy to hear the difference between a movie with DD5.1 audio (i still have 3 or 4) and the pseudo surround after downmixing DTS to stereo. Since i bought playbar with the full 5.1 units (3 month ago) i have viewed 2 (twoo) movies, very disappointing.
I know this has been mentioned here before - but it really leaves me speechless, every time I think about it: Panasonic DMP-BD77 Blu-ray player ($50.00) - does full DTS decoding (EVERY blu-ray player does, no matter how cheap) Sonos Playbar 5.1 system ($2,000.00) - no DTS decoding, because Sonos doesn't want to pay for the license...
Userlevel 2
Add another vote to this, its a must, a complete no brainer. Think there are lots in my boat who have researched and want to buy, but are holding off. Any further update from Sonos?
Ich habe mir die Playbar und den SuB bestellt und gekauft - gerade um auch meine Bluerays anzuschauen (FullHD) und mit tollem Sound anzuhören. Und nun stelle ich fest, dass ich nix hören werde. Das ist sehr ärgerlich. Wie lange ist der Entscheidungsprozess bei Sonos geplant, bis man ausdiskutiert hat und gegebenenfalls ein Update plant. Denn ich bin nun gezwungen zu entscheiden, ob ich die o.g. Geräte zurückgebe. Gibt es eine Workaround?
Under consideration for 3 months.. Can you please tell me if we have DTS in the near future or not? I want to order the playbar 🙂
Hi. I'm in the same boat. I realy want one of these systems, but not without DTS.
Userlevel 2
+1 for DTS support
Userlevel 2
Badge
I would suggest everyone posts on the Sonos FB Page to make this problem a little bit more public. Also consider emailing support. https://www.facebook.com/sonos?fref=ts
I'm not even sure that an optical connection can support the bandwidth of DTS or uncompressed audio. I think the max you can get without adding HDMI would be Dolby Digital 5.1. Correct me if I'm wrong and please provide a source as I have dropped all consideration of purchasing a playbar due to what I believe is a hardware problem.. not software.
The toslink connection is capable of transferring up to 1.5Mbps of data. It is true that this doesn't meet the conditions for DTS HD and similar advanced stuff. But it IS capable of transferring the good old DTS .... so what are we waiting for? Aunt edith says: It seems that even DTS HD is possible with toslink: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TOSLINK
Has there been any further advance in getting DTS support via firmware update for the 5.1 setup?
Userlevel 2
As an owner of a good collection of Sonos products I am extremely disappointed with their decision to not support DTS or have suitable inputs/outputs as a possible work-around. I was looking forward to buying the sound bar system for a second home and now it looks like I will forego any future Sonos purchases. How sad that a once terrific company has taken this tureen for the worse.
I was so disappointed with this. I just bought a €699 playbar and the audio goes mute on the second movie I try... It just seems ridiculous.