Please add support for DTS for the Sonos Playbar.

Userlevel 2
A hifi homecinema soundbar without dts support seems not up to date for me. Are there any plans to add dts support?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

1190 replies

Userlevel 1
Hi, Just a little detail... You say you have marked this "Under consideration" but that can not be seen on this thread (as with the other ones that are under consideration...) Is it just a delay in the update of the forum or a mistake? I think you have a great potential here, so please do not miss this opportunity! Keep up the good work!
Badge +1
Sonos is making quality equipment, let's get the all the good stuff in there. Please include DTS!
Please add this. I am seriously considering taking mine back. Too many Blu rays are ruined by this lack of support.
Userlevel 1
I cannot see this topic "Under consideration" section. This is important because I am not happy listening to blu-ray disks in stereo because DTS is not supported.
Please add DTS support! I am holding off on buying a Playbar until this codec is included because I have way too many movies and mkvs that use this format.
Userlevel 1
In the spirit of transparency, I wanted to add that I have actually now ordered a Playbar. If something official on DTS does not come out in the next week or so from Sonos, I will 100% return it. With that said, I wanted to gauge the sound quality of the device in general. If the sound quality is where I expect it to be, I will return it and continue to wait for DTS support. If the sound quality is not where I would expect from a $700 soundbar, I didn't want to be waiting around for weeks/months waiting on word about DTS only to be disappointed in the overall sound later if/when I finally do order.
Along with no DTS support...why not add 4XHDMI in. Sonos always touts the ease of use so why not add to it and make it the nerve center of media room, is it that expensive? i hate to say is sonos turning into bose v2.0. there are so many user who are trying to find a work around this prob. and still paying heft price for sonos. on the weekend i listen to sonos 5.1 sys in BB, here are my impression ill keep it short... 1: The system lacked cohesion as whole, may be the setup was wrong. 2: Speakers are tad bright and may lead to listening fatigue. 3: Impressive for movies not for music. So-No... till i see steps in right direction
Userlevel 3
Along with no DTS support...why not add 4XHDMI in. Sonos always touts the ease of use so why not add to it and make it the nerve center of media room, is it that expensive? i hate to say is sonos turning into bose v2.0. there are so many user who are trying to find a work around this prob. and still paying heft price for sonos. on the weekend i listen to sonos 5.1 sys in BB, here are my impression ill keep it short... 1: The system lacked cohesion as whole, may be the setup was wrong. 2: Speakers are tad bright and may lead to listening fatigue. 3: Impressive for movies not for music. So-No... till i see steps in right direction
Which BB did you go to? The local one didn't even have the sub on display.
magnolia design center in chicago
Please include DTS support so I can buy this product! I would also plan on the 5.1 setup with Sonos but without DTS no way...
Userlevel 1
I would love to see DTS support please. I have one Playbar on the way but with DTS I will get another sub and a couple more Playbars. Love my Sonos system 🙂
Userlevel 4
Badge +2
On average, more than two requests per day have been added to this thread since it was originally posted. Says it all really.
Rather upset at the lack of DTS, have the playbar and two Play:3s setup, Sub on the way. Please implement this 🙂
Plz can some guru or sonos rep tell me why 1: no HDMI 2: no DTS 3: crossover frequency and freq response for playbar in spec sheet or for that matter other sonos components.
Badge +18
Plz can some guru or sonos rep tell me why 1: no HDMI 2: no DTS 3: crossover frequency and freq response for playbar in spec sheet or for that matter other sonos components.
Hi djay, Sonos made a deliberate design decision not to include an HDMI port on the PLAYBAR. We expect that more and more video will be streamed directly from the internet to the TV and in this case the optical output is by far the easiest and best way to stream audio to PLAYBAR. DTS support was not included in part because the vast majority of televisions do not pass DTS audio from their optical ports. This topic is currently marked as Under Consideration as a possible future enhancement. Sonos does not provide these figures because we do not believe that specs tell the whole story. This is consistent with all other Sonos products. Thanks.
Userlevel 1
On my blu-ray player I currently have these settings;
  • Dolby digital -> output bitstream / dolby digital
  • Stereo -> output bitstream / PCM
  • DTS -> output downmix stereo PCM
I have to watch hi-def movie content with a stereo soundtrack. Can this be addressed please ? Thank you.
Thanks, for the reply John. I agree 100% with the fact that numbers don't tell the complete story but why not make it a public knowledge...well its sonos call.... But i don't agree with the DTS (i like that it is under consideration) or HDMI decision. Also is there a option for room correction for the 5.1 setup ? (i felt that the speakers did not get along well with each other) P.S. I am happy with the connect player 🙂
Userlevel 3
Wish it were DC
sad that sonos isnt giving the people (customers) who keep the company going something they need and want. Just so frustrating. John M please tell Sonos that people truly are begging for DTS.
Userlevel 1
please add DTS, my whole library has DTS 😞 For this kind of money, it should be available
Userlevel 1
97th vote from me. DTS is a MUST. I love my Playbar, but the lack of DTS support is really really disappointing.
Userlevel 1
I think there are quite a lot of PLAYBAR owners that have not exactly connected it as someone at SONOS decided it should be connected. I have a "wireless" Sony TV, that unfortunately can only do 720p over the wireless connection, so I have hooked up the TV via the HDMI Monitor connection to get full HD. That does however mean that there is no audio out at all thru the optical connection, so my PLAYBAR is hooked up to the AV Receiver...
Once DTS works I will be adding the Playbar, the sub and 2x Play 3 to my house.
Not happy Jan. AU$1k and no DTS. DTS soon please!
Hi, I´ve the complete sonos surround sound system in my living room, but without DTS in the playbar a lot of fun is missing. Please upgrade the software with DTS.