Please add support for DTS for the Sonos Playbar.

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

1190 replies

Userlevel 1

Following a careful evaluation, we have decided not to implement support for the DTS audio format in PLAYBAR at this time.

PLAYBAR uses a single optical connection directly from your television and was designed this way to make it as easy as possible to set-up and enjoy great HiFi sound.  Most PLAYBAR owners connect PLAYBAR to their TV in this simple way. This is the intended setup for playing the sound from your TV.

Today, very few TVs pass a DTS-encoded audio stream through their optical output.  Instead, the TV or source device converts the audio signal automatically to PCM, which PLAYBAR supports.  This is how PLAYBAR plays DTS-encoded Blu-rays.

We are committed to supporting the existing and future ecosystem of streaming video services. Currently, popular streaming services do not use DTS and most use Dolby Digital encoding, which PLAYBAR supports.

We are aware that PLAYBAR is being connected by customers to devices other than the television. In this configuration, when PLAYBAR receives a DTS signal, it will not process the signal.  If you are not able to connect your PLAYBAR directly to your TV and would like to explore solutions, please click here

If DTS support is crucial for your current set-up, PLAYBAR may not be the right solution for you and we apologize for this inconvenience.  If you are currently a PLAYBAR owner and would like to discuss options, please contact Sonos Customer Care.

We’ll be actively monitoring TV and streaming services capabilities and trends. If our development stance around DTS decoding in PLAYBAR changes, this community will be among the first to know. 

Hopefully just a simple yes or no question to SONOS on the PLAYBAR refunds policy:

Is SONOS going to give a full refund for all SONOS equipment bought together with the PLAYBAR and later on in 2013 ?

[__] = Yes   [__] = No   [__] = Babble

Please just check only one of the three possible answers above !
Userlevel 1
Badge
Everyone, a note on comments.  

We are actively moderating discussion in this thread and removing posts that contain inappropriate language.  If your post contains language which is not suitable for a wide audience, it will be removed.

Thank you for your understanding.

it works for me when u draw all my content through WDTV.

Try see if u under audio settings on W/E ur using to decide which audioformats your TV/Box/DVD/BR will output.

My WDTV can output to certain formats on optical. Like i can chose if the optical output can send AAC, DTS, etc., or all formats to the hooked up unit (playbar in this case)

Price is like 200 Euro. Includes mediaplyaer that can play anything: Netflix, ISO, MKV, AVI, MP4, Youtube, and everything else. It has 1TB internal storage, it WDTValso works as a NAS. My wife uses it to show pictures on the tv. And before we had wimp, we played all our music on sonos from the music library on the WDTV........ 200 Euro........

So easy that my wife operates it, just as easy as sonos 🙂
Userlevel 3

We are actively moderating discussion in this thread and removing posts that contain inappropriate language.  If your post contains language which is not suitable for a wide audience, it will be removed.

Call up a few local stores and see they have it set up. I heard it in a bby and looked up the model number of the tv to see if it passed Dolby or not. Also have them put in a blu ray that is Dolby and not...and do a blind test.

Following a careful evaluation, we have decided not to implement support for the DTS audio format in PLAYBAR at this time.

PLAYBAR uses a single optical connection directly from your television and was designed this way to make it as easy as possible to set-up and enjoy great HiFi sound.  Most PLAYBAR owners connect PLAYBAR to their TV in this simple way. This is the intended setup for playing the sound from your TV.

Today, very few TVs pass a DTS-encoded audio stream through their optical output.  Instead, the TV or source device converts the audio signal automatically to PCM, which PLAYBAR supports.  This is how PLAYBAR plays DTS-encoded Blu-rays.

We are committed to supporting the existing and future ecosystem of streaming video services. Currently, popular streaming services do not use DTS and most use Dolby Digital encoding, which PLAYBAR supports.

We are aware that PLAYBAR is being connected by customers to devices other than the television. In this configuration, when PLAYBAR receives a DTS signal, it will not process the signal.  If you are not able to connect your PLAYBAR directly to your TV and would like to explore solutions, please click here

If DTS support is crucial for your current set-up, PLAYBAR may not be the right solution for you and we apologize for this inconvenience.  If you are currently a PLAYBAR owner and would like to discuss options, please contact Sonos Customer Care.

We’ll be actively monitoring TV and streaming services capabilities and trends. If our development stance around DTS decoding in PLAYBAR changes, this community will be among the first to know. 

My perception is that a direct connection of the source device (digital receiver, ps3, etc.) to the playbar produces FAR superior sound than going through HDMI first. I use a switch for optical cables (18€), so the use case to connect it to the TV does not apply to me and I imagine few others who really want to get their money's worth in terms of sound quality for a 1800€ home theatre. So now, if the source device produces DTS, that's a negative user experience. Is it really that costly to implement?
Userlevel 2
Badge +5

Seems daft when every budget blueray player on the market can implement DTS. Even if it made 0.1% of playbar users happy, for the cost of implementing, surely it would be worth it ?

I get the position that its meant to be very easy to use and to have it connected to the TV optical out so it works each time, every time, but, SONOS, isn't the following true?

IT WOULD BE SIMPLE TO ADD
IT WOULD BE CHEAP TO ADD
IT WOULD NOT AFFECT THE DESIGN BRIEF OF SIMPLE TO USE
IT WOULD MAKE A VOCAL MINORITY VERY HAPPY.
IT WOULD PREVENT LOSS OF SALES THAT THIS ISSUE COULD BE CAUSING

If Sonos would really care about it´s customers they would find a way. Now they only find excuses  - (and helplessly watch their fans become into haters....)

Sure, optical output is not suited. You want to use HDMI - which is, by the way, also needed to get 5.1 sound from most TVs (e.g. Panasonic does not transmit 5.1 coming from the BlueRay player through the optical output, but just plain stereo).
Userlevel 1

From my point of view Sonos is an unfrank pure profit organization:

Sonos buffaloed PLAYBAR owners for more than 12 month with ‘Under Consideration’ statements to make them keep a damn bad hardware not suitable to handle DTS 5.1 due to technically limitations. I’m absolutely sure, Sonos knew at any point in time the DTS 5.1 solution a lot of their customers asked for will never ever work on those failure-by-design PLAYBARs. Period.
Badge +3

Userlevel 1

From my point of view Sonos is an unfrank pure profit organization:

Sonos buffaloed PLAYBAR owners for more than 12 month with ‘Under Consideration’
statements to make them keep a damn bad hardware not suitable to handle DTS 5.1
due to technically limitations.

I’m absolutely sure, Sonos knew at any point in time the DTS 5.1 solution a lot of their customers asked for will never ever work on those failure-by-design PLAYBARs.

Go out and give them the shitstorm they deserve !
Userlevel 1

@John M.

Thank you John.
Indeed, I got a message that SONOS' Return Dpt. is processing my request and they will get back to me soon.
Well, it's the 13th day today since my first mail... 

@John Edrian Lomoljo

I'm very sorry about your situation and I'm afraid that it's going to be a similar deal in my case, too. I paid in Euro in a large department store in Germany.
I'll keep you updated, please do so, too.
Thanks!
Userlevel 2

@kokki.k I'm facing the same thing, after giving the proof of purchase. I hope sonos honors their word. They said they are checking if I bought my sonos under authorize retailers, the store I bought it from is the only Sonos distributor in Singapore. What is more frustrating is that they will refund in USD price of the item and not how much I bought it in Singapore dollars. So depending how this goes I might actually be losing a few hundred dollars
Badge +3

@kokki.k

Thanks for your patience, the information you sent in is being reviewed.  You should hear back from us today.

How can home theater at this price not support DTS. Many tv manufacturers support DTS. Your claim is now false Sonos.
Userlevel 2
Badge
I'm disgusted with your decision not to support DTS. Ever other soundbar on the market supports DTS and just because tv's don't support it does not mean people don't want to use an optical switch. This is a huge mistake on sonos behalf and will make a lot of people question the want for a playbar seeing as there are a lot of better options available on the market. A once loyal sonos user
Userlevel 1

I'm returning my Playbar.
I'm in contact with some fella in the Netherlands but somehow the communication has slown down since I sent him the SN and proof of purchase.
He promised to get back to me on Friday, something he hasn't done, yet:(

I hope SONOS doesn't lie.
Userlevel 2

I've just bought this...wanting to add this to my existing PLAY's but have been let down by the lack of DTS support.  I just assumed it would of supported DTS, DD and PCM audio... like any other cheaper soundbar.  More annoyed that this isn't a feature you'll include in the future.  I won't be buying 2 PLAY 1's now for my rear speakers...

Very disappointed! Why do you tell your customers how they have to use the product? Why not listen to what your costumer's want? Ignoring this "most-wanted feature" makes the whole "Ideas"-Page ridiculous.

Just bought the system and realized I just wasted 2K on a system that is already out data. What a piece of junk. Taking it back tomorrow. 

Netflix, Amazon Instant, Hulu Plus, Vudu, Xbox Video, Blu-Ray Disc's all use DTS.   I can't use 5.1 surround sound on any of those services.... I am a very upset customer. I want DTS support added ASAP. I didn't spend 2k for this 😞 - very dissatisfied customer.
Userlevel 2
Badge

Hahaha what a shit decision. Sonos will be the new Apple hahaha.
Userlevel 3

I've been looking at the sony ht-st7... Looks pretty Gd from the review has 3 Hdmi inputs and supports all dts, dts Hd, dd, true dd.... U get the picture.... Ashame like Sonos but needs must
Userlevel 2

I am returning my playbar bridge and 2 play 3. Let's see how good is Sonos word on the refund. Anybody who actually received a refund? Or returned their gear?
Userlevel 3

Well I'm looking round to see if I can find a soundbar and sub (with Dts of course ) which has better or equal sound quality then I'll be emailing Sonos for a refund. £1200 ($1977) u can get some Gd equipment with that sort of money.
Userlevel 1

People, 
we all know John is a "small light" in the Sonos organisation.
Paid to tell us what we want to hear, or in this case, try to convince us, that Playbar is a good product even without DTS support. 
Which it isn't!

I could write a long story here, how I have send many improvement suggestions (more sensitive volume control especially in the low volume range, ramp up the alarm volume over a couple of minutes, put a sleep button on the widget, include google all music,...)  to Sonos from the early days, but nothing of it ever made it into their software.
Because they back office ignores what we write here. they follow their own "plans" for function integration, which look to me, as if they were prioritized by someone who has never red this forum in his life. 

Our ideas and complaints might get forwarded to their "developer team", but there seems either not enough capacity, or not enough talent to implement it.
Or some director does not see the benefit to invest money in DTS support.

So i say: let's stop talking and start acting.

More than 1400 people back up this DTS topic here. 

Let's all apply for a refund, and return our Playbar, Sub (if you have), and Play3 or Play1 that you might have bought as surround speakers to Sonos, with the simple reason: 
Not fit for intended use - does not support DTS.

If all of us 1400 frustrated user only return a Playbar, Sonos looses 1400 x 650 USD = almost 1mio USD turnover.
Add some 700-800 Subs and Play3 pairs to it, and it could sum up to almost 2mio USD.

Plus the additional loss of turn over by our recommendation to not buy Sonos products to our 1400 x approx. 500+ = 700.000+ friends on Facebook and Twitter.

I hope this will give Sonos senior management enough reason to reconsider investing into DTS support.