PlayBase or Beam

• 23 May 2019
  • 5 replies

Hi,

I have a sonos playbase over a tv desk, connected to a sony AF8 65'' that is on the wall.
I think, in this case, the playbase is not the best option for a tv on the wall. Iam thinking in buying the sonos beam. Maybe the playbar is the most similar to playbase in sound. So my question is, the sound quality from the playbase is very different to the beam?
Iam in the midle of beam or playbar, because i do not want to lose quality sound. Thank you

5 replies

If you can, go to a local vendor and compare. Your profile suggests that you're not here in the US, otherwise I'd point you to a local Best Buy, where they often have all the products on display, and listenable. I just don't know anything about marketing in Portugal.

That being said, I'll lend you my personal viewpoint, and you can figure out if it makes sense to you, or you would prefer to go your own way.

I like separation in my audio. Both in music, and in TV. Now, probably 85% of TV is pretty much straight through the center channel, I do like separation in my movie watching. My experience is that there isn't as much separation in a Beam as there is in a PLAYBAR. If I was sitting 2 to 3 feet away from the sound device, the Beam would be fine. Any further than that, for me, I need a PLAYBAR, and Surrounds. It's probably one of the reasons that they suggest the Beam for "smaller" rooms. With a 65 inch TV, I'd be sorely tempted to ignore the newer technology of the Beam (which is neat, and a bit compelling), and stick with the wider soundfield of the PLAYBAR.

It's a hard choice. I'd feel more comfortable in making this recommendation if the connection technology was the same, it simply isn't. But if you can live without HDMI-ARC, then the PLAYBAR would be my choice.

And oh, how I hope that Sonos will bring out a new version of the PLAYBAR at some point in the near future. But as they say, if wishes were horses.....
Thank you for your help. I never used the hdmi-arc, so until today i could live without it :)
I also like the separation between music and tv sound (voice sound). Also, except the design, the performance between playbar and playbase is very similiar, in my opinion, playbase is great. Is really just a matter of design in my room. Makes more sense the column on the wall bellow the tv.
Userlevel 2
Badge +3
And oh, how I hope that Sonos will bring out a new version of the PLAYBAR at some point in the near future. But as they say, if wishes were horses.....

I know me too!!! I have a beam and I quite like it but I've had a PLAYBAR in the past and it is an amazing sounding device, I'm tempted to buy another PLAYBAR but I keep holding off because it seems that they will certainly release a new version right!?

And oh, how I hope that Sonos will bring out a new version of the PLAYBAR at some point in the near future. But as they say, if wishes were horses.....I know me too!!! I have a beam and I quite like it but I've had a PLAYBAR in the past and it is an amazing sounding device, I'm tempted to buy another PLAYBAR but I keep holding off because it seems that they will certainly release a new version right!?

Big difference between playbar and beam?
Userlevel 2
Badge +3
Big difference between playbar and beam?

Yea there is, don't get me wrong the beam sounds amazing especially for the size, and if your planning on adding the sub and surrounds it makes less of a difference but Beam vs PLAYBAR on there own merits the PLAYBAR handily trounces it.