Answered

Playbase + 2xPlay1 with Optical Audio Cable

• 15 October 2017
  • 5 replies

Hi guys,

I am having some issues with my 5.1(Playbase + 2xPlay1). Playbase and AMP are connected with ethernet cable, and both play1s are connected via WM0, supposedly SonosNet.

When I play Amazon music/Audible and internet related services, both Play1 works fine; however, when I watch TV with Optical Audio Cable to Playbase, both Play1 players have intermittent interruption, as if the network is not working properly.

I've tried different channels, 1, 6, 11 but none of them seemed to help. I do have another set of 5.1 in another room, which consists of a Playbar, two Play1s and are connected via Ethernet except for AMP. Sometimes the play1s in question would connect to the Playbar; I tried to reboot the Playbar to force Play1s to connect back to Playbase, but in terms of the interruption it didn't help.

I tried to have the wired Play1s in the other room to play what is coming from the Optical Cable, and it worked very well. I am not sure if I should get an additional access point and try to fix it via additional network overhead.

As a side note, I've reboot all my Sonos and reset those two Play1, but no dice.

Any suggestion would be appreciated, thanks in advance.

Thanks,
Jerry
icon

Best answer by Airgetlam 16 October 2017, 05:43

Jerry,

When you say AMP, do you really mean SUB?

I think that you might have a source of 5Ghz interference, which is what the surround PLAY:1s are using when they're being used as Surround speakers. I believe they use 2.4Ghz when they're being used for music purposes.

As a test, can you connect them to your PLAYBAR with ethernet cables? That might be a good way of determining if I'm correct.

However, you've already done several of the recommended "fixes" by changing the SonosNet channel. as well as rebooting and reconnecting, but I'd urge you to re-read the FAQ on interference, just in case it tickles something in your mind: Wifi Interference FAQ

But at the end of the day, I'm just guessing. You may want to submit a system diagnostic, and post the number here, for the folks at Sonos to look at. If you do it within 10 minutes of experiencing one of the cutouts, it should make sure that the issue will show up in the logs that are submitted.
View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

Jerry,

When you say AMP, do you really mean SUB?

I think that you might have a source of 5Ghz interference, which is what the surround PLAY:1s are using when they're being used as Surround speakers. I believe they use 2.4Ghz when they're being used for music purposes.

As a test, can you connect them to your PLAYBAR with ethernet cables? That might be a good way of determining if I'm correct.

However, you've already done several of the recommended "fixes" by changing the SonosNet channel. as well as rebooting and reconnecting, but I'd urge you to re-read the FAQ on interference, just in case it tickles something in your mind: Wifi Interference FAQ

But at the end of the day, I'm just guessing. You may want to submit a system diagnostic, and post the number here, for the folks at Sonos to look at. If you do it within 10 minutes of experiencing one of the cutouts, it should make sure that the issue will show up in the logs that are submitted.
Hi Bruce,

Yes I meant SUB.

I’ve tried to connect the Play1s via Ethernet cable and they worked flawlessly. I’ve also submitted the diagnostics and will follow up with Sonos. But my guess is there isn’t much they can do; I read some similar issue here and the fix was to use a WiFi bridge.

Thanks again for the suggestion. I’ll follow up with Sonos.
Made more sense in my mind, so I'm glad I was right. :)

Yea, if it works wired, then that really points to wifi interference, at least in my mind. I hope you're able to get good info from Sonos.

As you suggested, I used a Velop to make all speakers from PLAYBAR wired, and turned off their WiFi, so that this set is completely wired. Now the two PLAY1 in question are happily connected to the wired SUB of the same set. They didn't connect to PLAYBASE but I don't complain.

Guess Sonos is not really as good at mesh network as other network device companies. I am going to connect those two PLAY1s with another Velop to make sure the issue is completely gone.

Thanks again for the advice. 🆒
I'm not sure I'd go that far. Their SonosNet network has always worked for me, but I'm also cautious about potential interference sources in my home, and a bit OCD about reserved IP addresses, to boot. . But, if it's working with the Velop, that's outstanding, and I'm pleased for you.