Question

Playbar with Multiple Subs

• 10 February 2016
  • 15 replies

Userlevel 1
Does Sonos plan on updating it's Playbar offering to support multiple (at least 2) Subs? I believe it currently only supports one Sub. I have a Sonos 5.1 configuration (Playbar, 2 Play:1's for rear, and Sub). I have a large room and like good, heavy, and balanced bass so I would like to add another Sub if possible. I just wanted to know if there are any plans to support this configuration? I really enjoy Sonos throughout my home but feel only being able to add one sub to the Playbar is a shortcoming. I am sure there are many other people that have the same request/scenario. If so please chime in. Thanks.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

15 replies

Badge
Wait, am I misunderstanding? The first article talks about THX certified data. As far as I'm aware, Sonos is not THX certified, and has never claimed to be. In fact, to quote from the Sound & Vision's Bottom Line: "For a plug’n’play compact subwoofer, the Sub does one hell of a job and looks great doing it. What’s more, Sonos did a spectacular job of integrated it with the existing Sonos interface. It’s a very, very welcome and necessary addition to the Sonos line."

Are you looking for a THX reference system?

You miss this part of my post?

Looks like rolloff starts at 50hz. I am not criticizing the sub, it serves a purpose and I have 2 rooms with Playbar 5.1 setups. My point here is that there could be added benefit from having a second sub.
Wait, am I misunderstanding? The first article talks about THX certified data. As far as I'm aware, Sonos is not THX certified, and has never claimed to be. In fact, to quote from the Sound & Vision's Bottom Line: "For a plug’n’play compact subwoofer, the Sub does one hell of a job and looks great doing it. What’s more, Sonos did a spectacular job of integrated it with the existing Sonos interface. It’s a very, very welcome and necessary addition to the Sonos line."

Are you looking for a THX reference system?
Thanks for the links. I'll run off and read them now.
Badge
Just curious, what is reference level for a subwoofer in an average size room? And how does a Sonos SUB measure up to that number? Can you link to where this data exists? Thanks!

http://www.acousticfrontiers.com/2013314thx-reference-level/

https://www.soundandvision.com/content/review-sonos-sub-page-2

Looks like rolloff starts at 50hz. I am not criticizing the sub, it serves a purpose and I have 2 rooms with Playbar 5.1 setups. My point here is that there could be added benefit from having a second sub.
Just curious, what is reference level for a subwoofer in an average size room? And how does a Sonos SUB measure up to that number? Can you link to where this data exists? Thanks!
Badge
What in the world would you need a second sub connected to the playbar for??! Have you even heard the sub?

The a single Sonos sub won’t grt anywhere close to reference level in an average sized room. A second sub greatly reduces peaks and nulls that a single sub creates.

It seems like this would be a pretty simple software addition.. not sure why Sonos is resistant to doing it.
Test
Userlevel 3
Badge +5

In Room Settings => (PLAYBAR's room) you'd see 'Add SUB' if there isn't one bonded; 'Remove SUB' if there already is.

You're right. The menu under the room settings does not show Add Sub.
I have a 5.1 setup and when i loo into the settings menu options, it shows me the Add Sub menu.
Where? You can always 'Add a Player or SUB' to the system. That's not the same as bonding a SUB to a PLAYBAR (though you could be invited to bond the SUB after it's joined the system).

In Room Settings => (PLAYBAR's room) you'd see 'Add SUB' if there isn't one bonded; 'Remove SUB' if there already is.
Userlevel 3
Badge +5
Hi jpenn10, welcome to the community.

At this time adding 2 Sonos SUBs to a PLAYBAR setup isn't possible nor we have any plans to announce at the time, but thanks for the great suggestion.

We'll pass on the suggestion for you. Let us know if you have any other questions we can help with.

Thanks.

Hi Max,
I have a 5.1 setup and when i loo into the settings menu options, it shows me the Add Sub menu. When i check this option it proceeds to ask me to power on the speaker. I don't have an extra Sub to test the feature, but was wondering if that is an oversight to show an option that does not work? Maybe we need to have smart menus that only show options that work?
Is that when I get out of my chair and move my hand back and forth in someone's direction?
Gentleman:
Are you familiar with a standing wave? The idea of 2 subs in a theater is extremely common...
Badge +1
What in the world would you need a second sub connected to the playbar for??! Have you even heard the sub?

Well why not!? Perhaps he can't get enough of a good thing! Two units would visually balance the room too. When I've just seen a sub at almost half price on eBay, it's got me thinking/ dreaming!
Userlevel 5
Badge +10
Userlevel 6
Badge +3
Hi jpenn10, welcome to the community.

At this time adding 2 Sonos SUBs to a PLAYBAR setup isn't possible nor we have any plans to announce at the time, but thanks for the great suggestion.

We'll pass on the suggestion for you. Let us know if you have any other questions we can help with.

Thanks.