Answered

Playbar with LG C9 OLED 2019 TV

Userlevel 5
Badge +7
I'm about to pick up this panel and I just want to make sure

1) Does this TV pass through dolby 5.1 with no lip sync issues for the Playbar?

2) Does the LG magic remote work with the playbar?

Thanks
icon

Best answer by Bald 31 May 2019, 18:33

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

18 replies

Hi,

i have a lg B8 (2018 model) and it works great with the magic remote. I do not have lipsync issues but if you have them you can change audio delay in the tv settings or the sonos app.

use these instructions to setup the magic remote for the playbar: https://support.sonos.com/s/article/3479
Userlevel 5
Badge +7
Thank you

I collected the TV today and yes it does pass through of dolby 5.1 with no lipsync delay and it was very easy to setup the remote. The c9 is able to recognise every device I connect and pre configure the settings
OP, can you confirm that there is no audio delay when using dolby 5.1 surround from PS4 Pro even with the TV in game mode? Thinking of getting the same setup. Thanks.
Really? Because there's a whole huge thread of people who do have issues.

I have an LG B8 too and the delay with an Apple TV 4k is very small but still present and the PS4 delay is unusably huge - I had to route my optical to playbar direct from the PS4.

I'm still not sure if I'm going to live with the Apple TV delay or not.

A good way to see how epic the PS4 delay is (if you're using HDMI OUT + Bitstream Dolby) is to try watching a YouTube video with people speaking on the PS4 browser. Yikes!

I'm staggered that in 2019 with a PS4 Pro, Apple TV 4k and LG B8 - 3 incredibly mainstream and popular devices that are supposed to work together, I can't just wire things up normally and I have to do all sorts of arcane HDMI/optical splitting and renaming inputs on the TV to 'PC' because Game mode on the LG B-series is also broken (lol!).

Is it really so hard to test products together and make things work. I do believe this is an LG issue not a Sonos one but it's Sonos' fault that the Playbar only takes optical in and doesn't support things like LPCM audio. Argh.
Not sure how it's a Sonos issue. Sonos plays the audio pretty much as quickly as it is handed to it. Any delays would be upstream, and something Sonos has absolutely no control over.

I do agree with you about how it is inconceivable that someone like LG can sell a TV with such issues that it's incapable of passing through a signal without delaying it. It really seems simple to me, there should be a bypass mode, in which the TV just doesn't "touch" the audio stream, and moves it straight from the HDMI input to the digital (optical or HDMI-ARC) output.

It's something I've not been able to figure out. And why I've not purchased an LG or a Samsung, both of which have this particular issue over the last several years.
The question here is, have LG fixed the output delay in the 2019 OLED models? The OP claims that they get no delay, or that is my interpretation rather. Can the OP confirm that this is the case, even in game mode with PS4 and 5.1?
Userlevel 7
Badge +18
The question here is, have LG fixed the output delay in the 2019 OLED models? The OP claims that they get no delay, or that is my interpretation rather. Can the OP confirm that this is the case, even in game mode with PS4 and 5.1?

You might be better off sending them a private message, in case they’re not following this thread.
Thank you

I collected the TV today and yes it does pass through of dolby 5.1 with no lipsync delay and it was very easy to setup the remote. The c9 is able to recognise every device I connect and pre configure the settings

I’m not achieving the same - what C9 model exactly do you have?
@Naekyr I am also interested in the C9.
Do you have devices other than the ps4 connected to hdmi?
Badge +2
I hate lipsync issues. That's why I won't buy anything new yet. I am waiting for earc for sound bars and TV. Sorry sonos you likely will never have earc will you?
Thank you

I’m not achieving the same - what C9 model exactly do you have?

So after many hours of trying several things, I discovered that having the bar mounted under the tv on mount/hanger (looking at it being thin), the IR receiver doesn’t appear to work the same way as the one on the other side. ??

Picture is of the one that works; the one that does is, in this particular picture, on top.

My LG C9 2019 model does not currently work with the play bar - I follow the steps but the magic remote won't link to the player when asked to press the volume + button. Im hoping there will be a fix soon as its a bit irritating having to use my phone to change the volume every time. 

It’s been sorted. You have to manually search for Sonos in the set up menu but after that you’re golden. I’ve got the C9 with sonos playbar and can use the magic remote to change volume. 

I still can’t get this to work with my 2019 C9.  Can you please give details, not sure what you mean by search for Sonos in the set up menu.

Ok, go to Device Connector then click on Bluetooth/Soundbar. When the manufacturer option comes up then you’ll need to manually search ‘Sonos’ as stupidly it doesn’t appear on the list. Obviously choose optical at the start as well and you should be good. 

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

FWIW, I just got a C9 and a Sonos Beam. The lip sync issue is still there, both when playing content through the built-in apps and through the Apple TV.

FWIW, I just got a C9 and a Sonos Beam. The lip sync issue is still there, both when playing content through the built-in apps and through the Apple TV.

how do you have your device connected? via ARC? I’m waiting for my C9 and wondering if I use the optical connection it will eliminate any issues

I’m thinking about buying the C9 - is the delay issue with the play are sorted?