Answered

Playbar with ceiling vs Playbar with One and One SL

• 31 March 2020
  • 7 replies

Badge

I’d like to add to my system and torn between the price difference.  the living room is 15’x30’ (typical), we have the TV and Playbar in the corner.  I’d like to add two more speakers.  If I can get away with purchasing a One and One SL - I want to do that.  However, the ceiling speakers look really clean, but at that price - is the quality really so much better or is the higher price just covering the style of being in the ceiling - I’m assuming the higher price with the amp produces a way more awesome sound.

Can someone provide thoughts on the difference in sound between the two when added to a Playbar?

How about Ceiling speakers compared to One/One SL/Sub - what group is a better sound?

icon

Best answer by AjTrek1 1 April 2020, 02:20

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

I’m not a big fan of ceiling speakers - especially in tall rooms.   I don’t think you will get any better performance from ceiling speakers and a Sonos Amp then with 2 Sonos SL’s

I think aesthetics would be the biggest factor here.   If the SL’s don’t have a good place to be maybe the ceiling route is more pleasing (but from a sound standpoint I wouldn’t make the decision on that.

I’d concur with Chris here. Surround information really should be ideally closer to ear level, behind the listener, and not from above. But tastes differ, and aesthetics do have impact. I find the difference, while being thought about, is there, but as soon as I get drawn in to the movie, I tend to forget about it.

Someone else posted a very wise thought recently, which struck home for me: listen to the music, not the equipment. Extraordinarily wise, sometime we get caught up in ‘perfection’, when just being happy is more important. 

Userlevel 7

Hi @TroyStanard 

I’m in agreement with @Airgetlam and @Chris however with a sligtly different twist :yum:

Ceiling speakers must be in an optimal position for surround (preferably no more than 8 feet above). The seating position might as well be nailed to the floor as adjustment left, right, forward or back will disorient the sound. On the other hand if using a Sonos One and One SL (good choice BTW) on stands the seating position is more fluid. Incidentally, adding a sub with or without surrounds is always an excellent idea.

My main concern is that you mentioned that the TV and Playbar are in the corner of the room (red triangles) :thinking: .  Looking at the diagram placement of ceiling speakers (yellow circles) in any place other than shown (say at angles to complement the tri-angles) would make them useless IMO for anything other than surround. If used for music as ambient sound for entertaining positioning them otherwise would not make full use of the room.

It’s your personal choice but placing the TV and Playbar in a corner makes it very hard to justify anything but a Sonos One and One SL as surrounds assuming they may be angled to create an encompassing circle with the Playbar. That also assuming the seating position is angled to face the TV and Playbar directly.

The ideal placement of the TV and Playbar is represented by the green box. In that arrangement the yellow circles are properly positioned as surrounds for ultimate enjoyment. The upside is they could very well be inceiling or Sonos One and One SL on stands. Note: The same restrictions/limitations still apply for in-ceiling speakers. There’s also the cost factor of the in-ceiling arrangment; as you very well know.

I hope my two cents adds a little more clarity to the excellent advice given B4 mine. Let us know your final decision.  Cheers!

Badge

Thank you - That was great advice regarding the ceiling speakers, the room is quite fluid with seating all around and I now understand that the ceiling speaker won’t adjust being at different distances from the TV.

Yes, TV/Playbar are in corner.  Sofa along long wall with other chair at end of sofa and closer to center facing TV and then dinning room at far end away from TV.

The Playbar is awesome and does fill the room … I’m leaning now; however, that the biggest improvement would be the sub rather than the One & One SL.

The One and One SL would be mounted to the long wall at 10’ (3m) and 14’ (5m) - do I understand correctly - they can adjust and could create surround sound experience for someone sitting between them - correct?

Thanks again for your time!!!!!

Userlevel 7

Hi @TroyStanard 

Could you post a diagram of where you plan on placing the surrounds?

Cheers!

Badge

Userlevel 7

@TroyStanard 

Sorry for the delayed response. I’m surprised @Airgetlam didn’t leave his comments :relaxed:

Now that you’ve made a celeberty of your “awesome wife” I’ll continue with my critique of your space. BTW does she know that you posted her picture ? If not, you must like living on the edge :smile:  LOL.

Now that I see your space and the distance between the TV and seating area positioning your surrounds overhead at the furtherst ends of the sofa would not be an issue IMO. I say this based upon the assumption that the sofa and TV are in the ideal location based upon available space. There is the possiblity that your “awesome wife”  may at some point want to reposition the sofa which in that case I would not recommend in-ceiling or wall mounted speakers as surrounds. Stands would be my recomendation.

If you maintain the current positioning of sofa and TV and decide against in-ceiling speakers I recommend placing the surrounds on stands just outside both ends of the sofa. Doing so will ensure that everyone seated will be involved in the action.  

If you decided upon in-wall or mounting the surrounds on the wall I recommend placing them as far to the outside of the sofa ends as possibe. 

Last comment: Adding a sub will not substitute for what surrounds can do for broadening the sound stage. Although it will bring out the low-end. So you have a subjective decsion to make...broadened sound stage or enhanced low-end?  Adding surrounds and a sub would be awesome (second to your wife of couse).:relaxed:

I hope this helps. Cheers!

PS: I don’t think “crazy dog” has an opinion one way or the other (LOL).