Playbar wall mount

• 23 February 2013
  • 33 replies

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

33 replies

Can someone (Sonos employee!) please help here?
While Sonos staff do occasionally comment here, these are user-to-user forums. If you want a direct response from Sonos I suggest you post over on ask.sonos.com
Userlevel 2
I have a house under construction (framing) and want to do this right, but Sonos just doesn't provide enough information.

Am at the exact same place in our renovation project and I want to ideally have ZERO wires showing so this is crucial to me.

Can someone (Sonos employee!) please help here?
Userlevel 2
Badge
It would help if Sonos gave us more information about the wall mount. For instance:

* What are the exact dimensions of the wall mount (including all the holes)?
* How is it designed to help conceal wires?
* Building codes don't allow power cables to be buried in the wall without conduit and electrical boxes - so how does the wall mount work with standard electrical boxes and trim? Is that hole in the middle the size of a standard electrical box?

I have a house under construction (framing) and want to do this right, but Sonos just doesn't provide enough information.
Userlevel 2
Will something like this not be possible? Imagine the play bar between the tv and furniture with a cable tray cut in to pieces on each side of the play bar

http://www.hometheater.com/images/newsart/092506wiremold.1.jpg
Hi Audiophiliac, I am keen to see your 2 ideas and which one you go for, as this is an issue for me too.

However is the problem of a sounbar's power lead not exactly the same as for any wall mounted TV's power lead?

Where I have wall mounted TVs in our house I have had to add both power and aerial sockets out of sight behind the TV in order to avoid the ugly leads jut hanging down!

Please keep updated once you have figured out the best plan.

Yes same problem. But easier solution behind a TV where you have plenty of room to add outlets. Not so much room behind the playbar. It will be a fun project. Stay tuned.
That is one option....but I believe SONOS recommends the playbar to be 2" away from the TV when mounting it below. Maybe it is only 1". Although there are ways to fill in that 1" gap with some kind of material, I would rather find a solution that will work well regardless of what TV and mount is being installed.

My primary idea is to mount the SONOS bracket to the wall with the speaker. Once I confirm it is exactly where I want it, I will remove the mount and cut it into 3 pieces. Basically I will cut the center section out to allow room for a 2 gang recessed outlet to be installed directly behind the recess in the playbar where the connections are. I think I have found a source for some short right angle IEC C7 power cords. I do not want a 6' cord to try and manage. 🙂 The other side of the 2 gang box will simply have a wire pass thru for the toslink and ethernet cables. The only issue I foresee is the recess on the back of the soundbar not being quite deep enough to allow room for the outlet plate. I think it will be tight. I am willing to space the mount off the wall a bit if needed, but I am also using a tilt TV mount with a plasma....so the profile is the same as the 3.5" or of the playbar. With super slim TVs on low profile mounts, it will look a bit odd anyway with the playbar sticking out further than the TV. But whatever works.

I will post the results of my project as I have a chance to do it. Other things to do first...might be summer before I get around to it. 😕
Userlevel 2
I am curious if SONOS thought about how they expect the Playbar to be wall mounted with the wiring concealed. From the looks of it, and the optional wall bracket, they did not think to hard. :)

Surely they are aware that if you wish to adhere to electrical codes, you cannot simply run the power cord through the wall. It needs to have an outlet behind the speaker. That is the main concern. And it applies to nearly all soundbars that are powered via high voltage.

As a custom installer, I will find a way to do it. I have 2 ideas in mind and will post an update when I have figured it out. But manufacturers need to take some thought about how people are going to use their products and design them accordingly.

Stay tuned for "how to mount your playbar, conceal the wiring, and keep it legal". :)

I was looking at this also... I will have to order one to find the best solution. I will be instrested in what you come up with alos. As an installer myself, it will come in handy with options. My first thought is to connect the Sonos mount the the TV mount. Adjustable so you can have the PLAYBAR sit right under the TV to hide wires.
Userlevel 7
Badge +11
Hi Audiophiliac, I am keen to see your 2 ideas and which one you go for, as this is an issue for me too.

However is the problem of a sounbar's power lead not exactly the same as for any wall mounted TV's power lead?

Where I have wall mounted TVs in our house I have had to add both power and aerial sockets out of sight behind the TV in order to avoid the ugly leads jut hanging down!

Please keep updated once you have figured out the best plan.