Question

Playbar vs (or +?) Play 5 (+ Play 1 / Symfonysk surround pair)

• 28 December 2019
  • 7 replies

Badge

I’ve just bought a second hand playbar (£350 from brother in laws dad - seemed too good to pass up) to complement my living room setup.  That currently consists of a Play 5 connected to the TV via a 3.5mm jack, and Play 1 and Symfonysk lamp as a stereo pair to the rear (thanks Sonosequencer!)

Having added the Playbar to the TV, I’ve added the 2 smaller speakers as a left and right rear surround (again, thanks Sonosequencer), and for TV playback, this sounds great - speech is so much clearer and it all feels a lot more atmospheric.  I’ve also got the utility of the speakers working with the TV rather than the TV just being an input and having to constantly switch in the app. 

However for music, it’s like someone ripped the bottom / fullness out of anything I’m playing (though I’ve only just turned the rear speakers to full rather than ambient - I’m sure it’ll make a difference, but not *that* much).  

But as soon as I group the Soundbar group with the Play 5, I’ve again got the fullness in music - it sounds amazing.  I honestly didn’t expect the bass on the soundbar to be so lacking.

I thought I was buying the Playbar to replace my Play 5, but now I think I’ve got to keep the Play 5 in the living room to complement the Playbar.

Am I missing something?  Is the Playbar really that bad for music / lower midrange / bass?

Would the Beam or Playbase be any better?  

Or do I just keep the Play 5 where it is to give the lower mid / bass I’m missing, and effectively group it and use it as the sub for the TV as well?  

I’m a bit confused now when I thought it was going to save all my problems!

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

7 replies

How does the Sonos Playbar sound to you, when standalone, without all the unsupported 'fudging’ bits from sonosequencer? I’m just wondering if that App is the root cause of your sound problems.

Badge

I did try it pre-tweaking, and yes, it did sound like it was missing something on the lower-mid / bass range stakes.  Switching the Play 5 in and out in grouping with the Playbar makes a really noticeable difference.  

Adding the other 2 speakers as a surround pair and changing the surround settings to full on music has helped, but still surprised how much of a difference grouping with the Play 5 makes.  

When compared to the speaker cones on the PLAY:5, the cones on the PLAYBAR are substantially smaller. There’s a certain amount of adjustment that can be done in software, but simple physics always wins out. I suspect that if you added a SUB to your PLAYBAR, you’d be happy. It’s what I’ve done with both of my PLAYBARs. Transformational.

Badge

I always hear people say how good the sub is with the playbar.  I don’t doubt them, it’s just a hell of a lot of money :/  Maybe I’ll start saving and keep the 5 in the system for the moment!

Have to admit, it’s only a music problem - the Play 5 doesn’t add anything to the TV experience - don’t even notice whether it’s in the group or not!

Badge

Ciao a tutti...ho acquistato una Sonos Beam,bellissima...Collegata alla presa HDMI ARC della tv...ho accoppiato due lampade ikea ( Sonos) per avere un Home Theater,le ho messe ai lati della Beam...Il problema è che l’audio della tv esce solo dalla Sonos Beam ho fatto tutti i passaggi previsti tramite App,invece se ascolto musica streaming Il suono esce anche dalle lampade Ikea.

Grazie mill

Ciao a tutti...ho acquistato una Sonos Beam,bellissima...Collegata alla presa HDMI ARC della tv...ho accoppiato due lampade ikea ( Sonos) per avere un Home Theater,le ho messe ai lati della Beam...Il problema è che l’audio della tv esce solo dalla Sonos Beam ho fatto tutti i passaggi previsti tramite App,invece se ascolto musica streaming Il suono esce anche dalle lampade Ikea.

Grazie mill

If playing PCM stereo TV audio the surrounds will not play any significant audio. The lamp-surrounds ideally need to be placed either side of your seated position and play a Dolby Digital 5.1 audio source instead. To get music audio-out via the surrounds, you need to set the  speakers to ‘Full’ output for music audio (instead of Ambient) in the Beam’s ‘Room’ Settings which you will find within “Settings/System” in the Sonos App.

Badge

Grazie mille 👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻