Question

Playbar volume less for music than TV

I recently bought a Playbar and from the beginning the volume of music played from the Sonos app seemed about 40% lower than I anticipated (50% volume sounded as I thought it would at 30%). 

Also from the beginning, the TV volume (Samsung smart TV through optical audio) seemed exactly how I expected. 

Today I explicitly tested my hypothesis listening to music and TV back to back. 50% volume for music sounded fine but somewhat gutless. Switching to the TV immediately resulted in the volume level I expect from 50%. 

Thank you in advance for any thoughts or advice.  

3 replies

The main problem is that music played through the Sonos app (streamed through Apple Music) has sounded gutless since the beginning. And I know it’s not hardware limitations or high expectations on my part because the TV optical input is decidedly NOT gutless. 

That does seem odd. I don’t notice a significant difference between the two inputs on my PLAYBAR, although I don’t use Apple Music, I stream from my NAS. Perhaps you could submit a system diagnostic within 10 minutes of experiencing this problem, and contact Sonos Support to discuss it?

I usually suggest the phone folks, they have more tools available, and are available Monday through Friday during business hours. Twitter support folks are available 24/7.

There may be information included in the diagnostic that will help Sonos pinpoint the issue and help you find a solution.

Bruce,

Thank you for the suggestion. I’ll give that a shot!