Answered

Playbar : Tv sound is hashed/muted

• 2 September 2019
  • 9 replies

Hello everyone,
I don't understand why the tv sound is hashed when I watch some streaming like Live News or Series on my Apple TV 4K and sometimes the sound is not sync with the video. Any help 'll be welcome.

Regards
icon

Best answer by Airgetlam 2 September 2019, 20:32

I'll assume you mean "hushed", and not "hashed"...

The PLAYBAR has no way of communicating back to your TV set. This means that HDMI-CEC won't work, and all of the attached systems have no idea what device they're playing on.

So, I'd be looking at a few things in your system. First, I'd look at the TV set, and make sure that it's up to date on its firmware. Often the latest firmware has fixes in it that older versions are lacking. Then I'd be checking the audio settings on the TV set, and turn off any items that might be modifying the audio stream, other than limiting it to Dolby Digital. Don't allow your TV to set its own audio stream choices, lock it down.

Then I'd be looking at the audio settings on the Apple TV 4K. Go to Settings>Video and Audio> and under the Audio area, make sure that Audio Output is set to xx(HDMI), and Audio Format is set to Dolby Digital 5.1

Finally, while playing something on the TV, I'd be looking at the icons along the bottom of the controller, to see if enhance speech or night mode is turned on. It's explained here:

https://support.sonos.com/s/article/1948
View original

9 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Missed Playbar 🤔in the Title. Old age and bad eye sight is my excuse ☺

The PLAYBAR has no way of communicating back to your TV set. This means that HDMI-CEC won't work, and all of the attached systems have no idea what device they're playing on.

So, I'd be looking at a few things in your system. First, I'd look at the TV set, and make sure that it's up to date on its firmware. Often the latest firmware has fixes in it that older versions are lacking. Then I'd be checking the audio settings on the TV set, and turn off any items that might be modifying the audio stream, other than limiting it to Dolby Digital. Don't allow your TV to set its own audio stream choices, lock it down.

Then I'd be looking at the audio settings on the Apple TV 4K. Go to Settings>Video and Audio> and under the Audio area, make sure that Audio Output is set to xx(HDMI), and Audio Format is set to Dolby Digital 5.1

Finally, while playing something on the TV, I'd be looking at the icons along the bottom of the controller, to see if enhance speech or night mode is turned on. It's explained here:

Missed Playbar 🤔in the Title. Old age and bad eye sight is my excuse ☺

"Excuse my french" 😁 I had the wrong translated word 🤐
I thought perhaps with your name, you might be a speaker of the french language.

You also have the opportunity to join this community:

https://fr.community.sonos.com/

Thank you Bruce🙏🏼 I changed Audio Format to Dolby Digital 5.1 on Apple TV 4K and it stopped. I'll also check the others points you quoted. I recently bought a Sony Oled TV so I learn about the "beast"

Do you think I'll need which Sonos Amp if I still want to use my TV center Speaker or I keep using my Playbar ?! Sorry but you're my professor now 😘

Ça va bien :)

And yes, it's been more than 50 years since I lived outside of Paris, I'm afraid my French has decayed.

The Sonos Amp can only drive 2 speakers, not three. That means that if you use the Sonos Amp, you'll have a "phantom" center channel, i.e. the Amp will send the center channel to both front right and front left.

The Sonos playbar has all three speakers built in to the enclosure, so you do get a true right, center and left channel. The Amp only allows the two, with the "phantom" center.

But there are no Sonos solutions for you to continue to use your TV as the "center" channel. With Sonos, everything becomes Sonos, there's no sharing of the signal.

I have two TVs, both of which have a PLAYBAR, SUB, and a pair of PLAY:1s as surrounds. I'm quite happy with both installations.
Thank you Bruce for your answer 😘 Ok I thought it'd be possible to use an amp to use my Sony as a center speaker adding only one sub and two play:1 so I keep my playbar then😋Did you test the Sonos Beam ? I hesitated to buy one 'cause it gets HDMI ARC, which connection seems much better than optical one but reviews on Beam, Playbar got my choice 🙂 If I use an adapter from Playbar optical to HDMI ARC on TV do you think it could change anything concerning the bandwidth or not ?
I've looked at the Sonos Beam in my local store, but as I already own two PLAYBARs, and while it sounds great, it isn't wide enough for me, I didn't purchase one

The newer technology built into it is good....but I just don't need it. HDMI-CEC is a poorly implemented spec, in my opinion, with each TV manufacturer putting their own "stamp" on it, making it less functional than I think it could have been, if the spec had been more rigorously enforced.

But there's no difference between the optical signal, and the HDMI-ARC signal. They're both digital, contain exactly the same information, they're just carried in a different manner. It's like putting a letter in a normal envelope, or in a bubble wrap envelope. There's no difference in the letter you put inside, it's just the "wrapper", or envelope that has changed.

The adapter that you're referencing doesn't work in that direction. It only takes an optical input, and outputs an HDMI-ARC signal. It will not take an HMDI-ARC output, and change it to a optical signal, so you couldn't use it in line with your PLAYBAR. But as I explained in the previous paragraph, there is absolutely no difference between the two signals. They're both digital, nothing is different.