PLAYBAR TV audio in other rooms?

• 13 March 2013
  • 17 replies

How can I access the tv input from the playbar so I can access. The tv sound on other Sonos components ?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

17 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge
Hi Pat, By grouping the PLAYBAR with your other ZonePlayer(s), the audio from the TV will be played across your whole Sonos system. Simply press the Group-button next to the room name and select which zone(s)/room(s) you want to include.
Hi Gunnar, thanks. I'm embarrassed I didn't think of that myself. Thanks for the help. The playbar has exceeded my expectations. I've got it coupled with the sub play 3's and the surround sound experience, especially while watching movies is incredible. Pat
Userlevel 1
Hi Pat, By grouping the PLAYBAR with your other ZonePlayer(s), the audio from the TV will be played across your whole Sonos system. Simply press the Group-button next to the room name and select which zone(s)/room(s) you want to include.
Hi Sonos, Please consider implementing having allowing the TV source to be selected without the need for grouping with the PlayBar - just like any other input source. Scenarios that could be achieved: - having the kids watch TV using headphones while we listen to music in the same room. - listening to the TV audio in the kitchen (news) while listening to music in the living room. - connecting wireless headphones to a connect ( with TV audio) without being effected by group volume adjustments. - listening to TV audio in another room without being affected by group volume adjustment. Thanks 🙂
I agree with the comment above. One work around I have found is to patch the Playbar using the optical out port from the Cable box (thus bypassing the TV optical in) I can then send the audio anywhere in the house with out having a large screen screen TV turned out while it is not being used (useful for when i want to listen to a game while outside in garage but don't need to watch the entire game). Other work around: i also use a Play 5 (in another room) which is plugged into TV using the "audio out 1/8" (headphone style jack) from the tv (not many TVS have this port). The TV has an "audio only "setting that allows the audio signal to play, and thus be shared via grouping across the networked Sonos devices (I have 8 speakers throughout property). The only issue (and the reason the Optical port via Soundbar is superior) is because that analog signal I am assuming has to be converted by Sonos and thus causes a delay and Sync issues with the video signal (for those time is use both audio and video from that TV input). If Sonos upgraded with the features described above, I would consider it a near perfect system for an integrated wireless device.
I grouped my playbar with a pair of sonos 1s in an another room. When I play the TV the connections breaks up (in and out) in the second room. I do not have a problem playing music. What is causing this?
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Your having issues with bandwidth and interference possibly.

Are you using Sonosnet (one sonos unit hooked to router) or your home wifi only. When you use your home wifi only it is sharing bandwidth with other devices using wifi in your house. I always recommend using Sonosnet if you are not.

Example why you would see this with TV audio and not home music. Music at home your music is coming via internet probably to your router and then directly out to your sonos units.

When watching TV the Playbar is sending the stream via wifi to your router then your router back out to the play:1s. So it is doubling the bandwidth burden on your wifi at home.

If using Sonosnet there is no other home traffic on the sonosnet and the playbar can send stream direct to Play:1s or any other close by Sonos unit vs. all the way back through router.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
if you go to settings ... advanced on your controller you can submit a diagnostic and post the number here for someone at sonos to look at your network and see any issues.
I am using WIFI. I will try to use Sonosnet. I will send my diagnostics. Thank you for the quick responses!
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
I believe if you hook one sonos unit to your router and use Sonosnet all your problems will go away. Just make sure to go in advanced and set your sonosnet to a channel furthest away from your home wifi (1, 6, or 11)
I hooked up a speaker to the router and started researching SONOSNET. First thing I find it does not work with IPhone?
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Huh?

If you hook your speaker to the router (by Ethernet). Then the speaker will become the bridge for any future speakers and they will all communicate over Sonosnet.

Your iPhone doesn't connect to Sonosnet. Your phone connects to your normal home wifi and via the router talks to the speaker.
Okay, let me read a little deeper. I jumped before I understood the process. Thanks.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
You may have been confused reading that Android phones actually can connect direct to Sonosnet (but there is no need to in this situation).
Badge
I just installed a playbar and it seems to be working ok but..... when I try to group another room nothing happens. I select the room and hit done. It takes me back to the previous screen but I'm not grouped. What can I try? There's no error message.
Badge
Works now. There's a bit of a delay before it kicks in. Never had that with my other Sonos devices.
Does anyone know of a way to make the grouped speakers change volume with the PLAYBASE?

For example, I have a PLAYBASE and 2 x Ones as surrounds (‘Living Room’). I have now grouped another One (‘Kitchen’) to also play TV audio. When I use the television remote to change the volume it only increases or decreases the volume on the PLAYBASE and surrounds (‘Living Room’). I’d like the grouped ‘Kitchen’ speaker to change volume with ‘Living Room’ using the remote. Currently I can only achieve this by opening up the Sonos app.

Any thoughts or hopeless wish?
Hopeless wish. The remote will only control the Playbase and surrounds.