Answered

Playbar turns on by itself

• 16 January 2021
  • 7 replies

I installed a Playbar this week. It is connected to a Vizio TV and an Xfinity setup box - fairly basic setup. I have paired the Xfinity remote to control the TV and Sonos playbar volume. When I hit the “off” button on the remote, it powers down all devices. However, my Playbar turns back in the middle of the night - usually 4am. I have tried all creative options to troubleshoot, but cannot figure out the root cause. 

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. 

icon

Best answer by 106rallye 16 January 2021, 22:46

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

The Playbar does not power down, but goes silent and then in a low power state after three minutes. Since there’s no direct connection to give commands to the Playbar (like HDMI-CEC on the Beam) you need to tell us a bit more about what happens in de middle of the night. Which source starts playing?

Another thing that is not completely clear to me is the way you’ve connected the Playbar. You say it “is connected to a Vizio TV and an Xfinity setup box”. Im I right in thing the settop box is connected to the TV and the Playbar is connected via optical to the TV, or is the Playbar connected via optical to the settop box?

Thanks for reply. Answers to your questions:

Which source starts playing? The television does not turn on. The Sonos playbar play the sound of live television. I repeat, the TV screen is not displaying anything. 

Playbar is not connected optically. Unless I am not explaining this correctly, they are connected via Wifi and paired. Only the Xfinity setup box is wired to the TV. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

That’s strange. You get TV sounds (even when you don’t want it) but the Playbar is not connected to anything but wifi? There should be an optical cable like this https://www.amazon.com/dp/B015SQDJW6/ref=sspa_dk_detail_4?psc=1&pd_rd_i=B015SQDJW6&pd_rd_w=wi3rR&pf_rd_p=45e679f6-d55f-4626-99ea-f1ec7720af94&pd_rd_wg=cEgKZ&pf_rd_r=39AM5V1X4QXQ45WT7534&pd_rd_r=8bac8c1e-313c-42d6-a406-de896964bb8d&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUEzUkE1RDA3SlpWNkVRJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwNjg2MTk2MjFIOUE4ODRVMTJBUyZlbmNyeXB0ZWRBZElkPUEwNDUwOTU1Mk9WVzRZVU4xVk1OTyZ3aWRnZXROYW1lPXNwX2RldGFpbCZhY3Rpb249Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU= either from your TV to the Playbar or from the settop box. That’s what starts your Playbar, maybe when updating or something.

You know more about my setup and you are not even here. Very impressive! :-)

Yes, I do have an optical cable running from the Playbar to the settop box. Now that we validated the setup, do you have any guidance on how to resolve the volume turning on in the middle of the night?

Thanks for all of your support - you’re amazing

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Thank you. We can conclude it’s not the TV that’s doing this. Can you tell me why you’ve connected the optical to the settop box and not to the TV? Would that be possible?

I believe the Playbar instructions recommended this setup. I am sure I can connect playbar to TV. Why do you believe this would make a difference?

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Because you say hear TV sounds from the Playbar, it’s probably not from a Sonos source (like Spotify). So it must be the settop box. Maybe when you connect the Playbar to the TV it won’t happen.