Question

Playbar Surround, PS4 & Blu-ray. 7.1 DTS to 5.1?

Userlevel 1
I have a Playbar, Sub and 2 Play 1s set up in as my surround system. My tv is a LG Smart TV and I also have a PS4. The PS4 is connected to my TV via HDMI and an optical cable runs from my TV to the Playbar.

To date I have not had any issues with my configuration and get a 5.1 signal when gaming on the PS4 and also when watching Netflix via an app on the LG TV.

Today I sat down to watch a Blu-ray for the first time via the PS4. The Blu-ray disc did not have 5.1 sound in English, but instead offered 7.1 DTS sound. However my Sonos is picking up the sound in Stereo only. (Verified via the "About My Sonos System" menu item on the Sonos remote.) I tried switching from Linear PCM to Bitstream and it then picked up no audio at all.

I tried connecting the optical cable direct from the Playbar to the PS4 and fiddling with settings yet the blu-ray audio was still only being picked up as Stereo.

Is this a limitation of the Sonos system or can I configure the it someway to convert the 7.1 DTS signal to 5.1. Feeling somewhat aggrieved given how much I have invested in Sonos if my set up has suddenly become redundant.

Appreciate any advice and help.

Cheers.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

10 replies

Hello,
I am able to do this with the PS4. You do have to hook-up the PS4 to the Playbar via optical cable (I use an optical switch). In the PS4 settings, you select DD for optical out (do not select DTS or other unsupported formats). While watching a BluRay, select "options." Go to the "audio" menu and select "BITSTREAM (MIX)." This is my workaround for the missing DTS support.
Userlevel 1
Thanks Andrew.

Out of curiosity which optical switch are you using?
If your LG is passing through the 5.1 signal you don't need an optical switch. I bet it is just the PS4 settings. Set it so it does not output DTS and it should transcode to DD 5.1
If your LG is passing through the 5.1 signal you don't need an optical switch. I bet it is just the PS4 settings. Set it so it does not output DTS and it should transcode to DD 5.1

I haven't installed my Playbar yet, but you're saying that if I set my PS4 to not output DTS that all I need from my LG TV to my PS4 is HDMI and it should all work fine?
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
if ps4 outputs dd5.1 and tv passes 5.1 signal via optical it should work. If Tv does.
If TV does what?
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Passes 5.1. Not all do.
Bought my TV last year and I'm pretty certain it passes 5.1.
Thanks for your help!
FV0 -

Did this work for you? I don't have BITSTREAM (MIX) as an audio option. Just wondering, as I have the same issue. Really irked to listen to blurays in stereo considering the cost of these speakers.

This seems like it should be more prevalent of a concern. When are we just gonna get 7.1 support? I'd end up buying two more speakers, seems like a good deal for everyone. Ha!

Thanks for any feedback.