Question

Playbar/Sony TV/Sky remote

• 24 March 2013
  • 55 replies

Hi, I'm sure this is really easy to fix, but am struggling.....I installed my Playbar today, I have a Sony TV which I control with my Sky remote. I have got the sound coming from the Playbar and changed the speakers to Audio System on the TV to do this. However, although I can control the sound from my Sky remote, everytime I change the sound I get the message "TV Volume is Fixed". Any ideas how toi disable this?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

55 replies

Hi there, same problem here. Model is KDL-46NX710. Somebody?
To make some of the options available, try to select "TV Speakers", change other options, then switch "TV Speakers" back to "Audio System".

I've got a 40HX753 which is only 2 years old, but there hasn't been a firmware upgrade for ages and the iOS remote app hasn't worked since the last upgrade. Sony tend to get bored of supporting previous products and prefer to put all their efforts into the latest money-spinner, so it may just be that they've dropped some of the useful audio options in later models but (fortunately) never rolled it out to "legacy" ones.

Look on the bright side, at least we get 5.1 from HDMI-connected devices which is more than most Samsung owners get.
To make some of the options available, try to select "TV Speakers", change other options, then switch "TV Speakers" back to "Audio System".

I've got a 40HX753 which is only 2 years old, but there hasn't been a firmware upgrade for ages and the iOS remote app hasn't worked since the last upgrade. Sony tend to get bored of supporting previous products and prefer to put all their efforts into the latest money-spinner, so it may just be that they've dropped some of the useful audio options in later models but (fortunately) never rolled it out to "legacy" ones.

Look on the bright side, at least we get 5.1 from HDMI-connected devices which is more than most Samsung owners get.
Hi, I have changed all the settings on my TV to the suggestions above but my sky remote will not adjust the playbar volume. I still have to use the Sonos app to do this. quite frustrating. Any ideas. I have a Sony KDL50W829BBU if that helps. It's a 2014 model I think.
Userlevel 2
I have the same TV as Daryl and cannot get the settings listed to work either, any help will be appreciated.
I have the same TV as Daryl and cannot get the settings listed to work either, any help will be appreciated.

HI Norman, I eventually got it to work. Do the settings as described by someone earlier in this post then re sinc the sky remote with playbar ( search sonos site for instructions but very easy) and job done. Good luck.
Userlevel 2

Hi Daryl, managed to do it via the iPhone app, now working with both the original TV remote and the Sky remote. Cheers.
Do you know if the optical out on a Sony TV is variable or fixed?
Thank u that worked fine! It's the little things that matter isn't it?
Thanks so much. You advice is spot on!
Hi User368015 I've been back through my setup and realise I could have done it all from one screen menu: Home - Settings (suitcase icon) - Sound Then select: - Speakers: Audio System - Headphone/Audio Out: Audio Out - Audio Out: Variable The on-screen volume won't always reflect the Playbar volume at the beginning of each use. You may need to keep pressing vol- until the Playbar is silent in order to re-sync.
Thanks for the suitcase icon.  This worked.
Great tip. Thanks very much.

Best thing to do is to throw Sony out the window and buy a Samsung. I am considering that.
Outstanding. Just got a new Sony 4K and was struggling to turn this off. It worked! Outstanding
Thanks so so much
Home - Settings (suitcase icon) - Sound Then select: - Speakers: Audio System - Headphone/Audio Out: Audio Out - Audio Out: Variable The trick is..you have to go home on the remote to get into the 'smart' part of the TV; don't use options button on the remote that brings up basic settings... It works as a dream on an XBR850B
Seems my previous post did get through... Only now saw your last reply. I have most of your options... But I don't have 'Audio out', the HDMI/DVI nor the 'tv position' options.
Are you in the 'options' menu (on your remote, press options) or on the HOME>Settings menu (on your remote, press HOME, then select settings (the briefcase like icon )?
Eric...you rock! That was the last step in the painful process of setting up this sound bar.
Thanks Eric - I knew the solution was there. Love the Sony Sonos Playbar combination.
Woohoo thank you so much. Have been looking for a solution for days, and thought I tried everything, but this worked 🙂
I did this, but now the volume bar for the TV shows up when I adjust up or down. Any ideas to get rid of that?
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
If your TV when speakers are turned off still pops up with volume bar.... the only way to stop is teach your playbar a different remote from different mfg. so your TV doesn't see (or cover the IR on the TV - but will have to turn on then from button on TV).  Some TV's don't supress the volume bar.
Ok thanks for the advice. It's not really a big deal. The image only pops up for a second, but it's good to know a workaround
Your tip worked perfectly!! Thanks for sharing!!
Userlevel 2
I'm having the same problem with my Sony Bravia TV. The sound from the Playbar works just fine, but every time I adjust the volume up and down with my remote, the volume on the Playbar will change, but an alert message pops up on the TV that reads "TV Volume is Fixed." I went to the options on the Sony TV and switched the Speakers option back to TV from Audio System and the Playbar no longer works, but the error message goes away. Clearly the TV is alerting me that the "TV Volume is Fixed" when it's set to "Audio System." Any idea how to avoid this? It's not the end of the world but it's terribly annoying.
Hi,

I've followed the instructions below to get rid of the Audio is fixed message, but they all end up with me getting a volume slider which potentially shows the wrong value as you could have changed the volume using the Sonos App. I believe I have a better way of solving this.

First thing is to switch the TV speakers off as people recommend so that you get the annoying message, then you need to change the Sky Remote with a little know setting so that it controls Amps/Recievers, see link here: http://helpforum.sky.com/t5/Archive/P...

In theory you can pick any model of receiver you want, the key here is that the volume buttons on the Sky remote will still switch your Sony on and off as well as change the AV input, but will be sending a different signal when you use the Volume Buttons and mute. You can now reprogram your PlayBar to recognise the new remote signals the Sky Remote is sending.

Hope this helps someone.

Now if only my Bravia passed through DD 5.1.

Andy
Badge
Now that the problem is sorted and I have the volume bar on screen... Is there anyway to make that volume bar disappear and nothing shows up when adjust the volume?