Question

Playbar/Sony TV/Sky remote

• 24 March 2013
  • 55 replies

Hi, I'm sure this is really easy to fix, but am struggling.....I installed my Playbar today, I have a Sony TV which I control with my Sky remote. I have got the sound coming from the Playbar and changed the speakers to Audio System on the TV to do this. However, although I can control the sound from my Sky remote, everytime I change the sound I get the message "TV Volume is Fixed". Any ideas how toi disable this?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

55 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge
Hello James, To try and eliminate that message you can try the steps in the attached SONOS Answer. It will cover some of the steps that can be taken to try and remove that messaging. If you have any further questions let us know and have a good day. Answer Title: Eliminating annoying messages on your TV with your Cable, TV, or Set Top Box Remote Answer Link: https://sonos.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/2015
Userlevel 1
I'm having the same problem with my Sony Bravia TV. The sound from the Playbar works just fine, but every time I adjust the volume up and down with my remote, the volume on the Playbar will change, but an alert message pops up on the TV that reads "TV Volume is Fixed." I went to the options on the Sony TV and switched the Speakers option back to TV from Audio System and the Playbar no longer works, but the error message goes away. Clearly the TV is alerting me that the "TV Volume is Fixed" when it's set to "Audio System." Any idea how to avoid this? It's not the end of the world but it's terribly annoying.
Userlevel 1
I actually just found a solution. From with the Sony TV Remote - press Home -> Options -> Sound. You're going to want to select the Audio Out option and ensure it's set to Variable and not Fixed. For whatever reason, you can only change the Audio Out option from Fixed to Variable and vice versa when the Headphone/Audio Out option is set to Audio Out and not Headphones. Hope this helps - always feels better to fix your own problem and hope others can benefit as well.
Eric, this completely worked! Thanks ever so much for this, much appreciated!
Userlevel 1
You're more than welcome...glad to know it works for you. Enjoy!
Hi Eric, thanks , a great help, although on my Sony Bravia, I had to go to options/speaker/audio out and then change to variable, and now I get a volume level bar on the screen when adjusting the volume on the Sky remote. Cheers
Hi I am having the same problem with my Brava KDL-60LX903, but don't seem to have (or can't find) the fixed/variable option as suggested above. Anyone have any other thoughts? Thanks very much.
To get the fixed/variable option, I had to switch Speakers back to TV, this gave me the Sound option back in Options. Then I could set variable, then switch back to Audio System.
Thanks Sid - unfortunately still no luck. Switching Speakers back to TV does give me the Sound option back in Options, but in that Sound option I only seem to have the choice of changing Target Inputs (which I can set as either Common or Current, but have no idea what either of those mean) or Sound Mode (which I can set as Standard, Dynamic or Clear Voice, with sub-options for treble, bass, etc). No reference anywhere to Fixed or Variable. Frustrating - perhaps it's not possible on my model, which would be rather annoying as I understood it to be top of the range when I bought it.
Hi User368015 I've been back through my setup and realise I could have done it all from one screen menu: Home - Settings (suitcase icon) - Sound Then select: - Speakers: Audio System - Headphone/Audio Out: Audio Out - Audio Out: Variable The on-screen volume won't always reflect the Playbar volume at the beginning of each use. You may need to keep pressing vol- until the Playbar is silent in order to re-sync.
Userlevel 2
This worked on my Sony Bravia KDL-55W900A. Thank you for your help.
It's just worked for me too! Thank you.
I spoke too soon. Solved one problem now got interference in the sound. I am playing all sound from Sony BrVia TV through Sky to play bar. Music plays fine with no interference but when on TV the sound started to blip constantly. It's hopeless to listen to anything on Sky. It's only just happened following the changes I made above though it might not be connected to these changes. Anyone got any advise on how to solve this?
Mmm, so far no good for me. I have a KDL40-NX800. The option fixed/variable yet to be found. At home/settings/sound I find sound (greyed out only usable when 'variable'...) so I have to be close. It can be chosen when I set the option speaker to tv-speaker rather than audio system. No 'out' option there however. Any more suggestions i can try?
Hi Bartled- try setting things in the following order:

Headphone/Audio out: Audio Out
Audio out: Variable
Speakers: Audio system
Thx Sid.

Problem is that it doesn't give me these options. Under settings/audio I have the following settings, translated from dutch so potentially slightly different. ;-):

Sound (greyed out; have to set speaker to 'tv-speaker' to change and than shows several options but not variable/fixed)
Bilingual (shows 1/ stereo 2/ A and 3/ B)
Speaker (shows 1/ TV-speaker or 2/ Audio system)
Headphonesettings (greyed out, but says Speaker Link headphone 'on')
Optical out (1/ PCM 2/ Auto; greys out Auto once TV speaker is on).

I have the impression it may be because my provider (KPN) sends out only Stereo. I read some posts elsewhere with complaints. If such is the case, only switching provider may solve the issue. :-(

Yet it's odd I lack the option variable/fixed as others seem to have.
Thx Sid.

Problem is that it doesn't give me these options. Under settings/audio I have the following settings, translated from dutch so potentially slightly different. ;-):

Sound (greyed out; have to set speaker to 'tv-speaker' to change and than shows several options but not variable/fixed)
Bilingual (shows 1/ stereo 2/ A and 3/ B)
Speaker (shows 1/ TV-speaker or 2/ Audio system)
Headphonesettings (greyed out, but says Speaker Link headphone 'on')
Optical out (1/ PCM 2/ Auto; greys out Auto once TV speaker is on).

I have the impression it may be because my provider (KPN) sends out only Stereo. I read some posts elsewhere with complaints. If such is the case, only switching provider may solve the issue. :-(

Yet it's odd I lack the option variable/fixed as others seem to have.
Thx Sid,

I'm afraid the cause may be my provider (KPN in the Netherlands) is only sending out Stereo... I found several complaints elsewhere. :-(

Once 'Audio system' is selected, not so many options are left. I have no Audio out, but my Optical out gives me 'Auto' or 'PCM'. I selected Auto. If I set to TV speaker rather than Audio system I do have several options, but none close to variable/fixed.
Hi Bartled,

Here's everything on my Sound screen, with selections [bracketed].

Sound

Dual Sound: 
  • [Stereo] 
  • A
  • B
Speakers:
  • TV Speakers
  • [Audio System]
Headphone/Audio Out:
  • Headphone
  • [Audio Out]
Headphone Speaker Link:
(adjustments only available when Speakers are "TV Speakers")
  • [On]
Audio Out: 
  • Fixed 
  • [Variable]
HDMI/DVI Audio Source: 
  • [Auto] 
  • HDMI Audio 
  • PC Audio
Key Tone:
(adjustments only available when Speakers are "TV Speakers") 
  • [Off]
Start-up Sound:
  • On 
  • [Off]
Digital Audio Out: 
  • [Auto] 
  • PCM
TV Position: 
  • [Table-top stand] 
  • Wall Mount/Floor Stand
Hi Sid, Something went wrong with submitting my reply to you (last week). A bit shorter now. 😉 Problem is... There is no setting 'variable'. Speakers is on audio system and Headphone has greyed out on ' headphone Speaker link' on. There is reference to 'Variable', but that is only adjustable when Speakers is on 'tv speaker', which is obviously not ok. Still open for suggestions. 
Oeps
Seems my previous post did get through... Only now saw your last reply. I have most of your options... But I don't have 'Audio out', the HDMI/DVI nor the 'tv position' options.
I have the exact same problem as Bartled, and I have a Sony Bravia 40NX710.
Could anyone try to look into this? Thanks in advance..
Hi there, same problem here. Model is KDL-46NX710. Somebody?
Worked great! Thanks!