Question

PLAYBAR Prerelease Information

• 12 February 2013
  • 80 replies

I saw your release about the Playbar and am very interested. How does it connect to my TV, Blu Ray, Cable, etc? I saw it said via optical cord, but what kind of optical? Which device is it best to connect to? When will it be released?

80 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +1
Hello Randy and Lester, The PLAYBAR specifications can be found here: http://www.sonos.com/shop/products/playbar (Click SPECS tab below the images). The PLAYBAR Est. Ship Date is 3/05/13 The 5.1 is true surround sound. Adding a set of paired PLAY:3s and a Sonos SUB will accomplish this. You can connect your TV, BluRay player, Cable box, etc. with a TOSLINK optical cable. Ideally, you would have your cable box, BluRay player, etc all connected to your TV - then using the optical out of your TV to connect to the PLAYBAR.
^ Can you please share how this is accomplished without the use of an A/V receiver? I just discovered Sonos through this Verge article (http://www.theverge.com/2013/2/12/3979508/sonos-starts-its-long-awaited-living-room-attack-with-the-699-playbar-soundbar) and am very interested in the system. However, when I read the article, it also claimed adding additional speakers creates a true 5.1 system. I'm lost how this can be done with a two channel speaker system. I just read the Sonos source docs and can see identical speakers can be paired for stereo, but there is nothing to indicate if the speakers are front/rear. Without an A/V to direct sound to their individual speakers, I can't seem to figure out how two-channel is diverted into 4 speakers without them playing identically, which isn't true 5.1. I currently have a Bose Cinemate II two-channel system that also tries to emulate 5.1 and it's not as good as I hoped it would be (thank goodness it was free). It's okay, but it's obvious the surround sound element has been sacrificed for a simpler system. I'd really like to look more into Sonos as my future audio choice, but this now rests if we're getting true 5.1 or 4 speakers that simply play the exact same thing, just in two-channel. Thanks for reading.
For true 5.1 sound, you must pair the Playbar with the Sonos SUB and two Sonos Play:3 speakers. All can be connected wirelessly (only needs an AC power cord) if you also purchase the Sonos Bridge for connection to your router.
Thanks for the reply and I think I understand a bit better now now that I read up on the Play:3 unit. I think I see where my concern rests. If the Playbar doesn't act as a sending unit, this means something has to. With the videos, this is usually a tablet or phone, but what if I don't have one of those? Does Sonos cater to people who don't want their lives controlled by an iToy? 😉
Hello Randy and Lester, The PLAYBAR specifications can be found here: http://www.sonos.com/shop/products/playbar (Click SPECS tab below the images). The PLAYBAR Est. Ship Date is 3/05/13 The 5.1 is true surround sound. Adding a set of paired PLAY:3s and a Sonos SUB will accomplish this. You can connect your TV, BluRay player, Cable box, etc. with a TOSLINK optical cable. Ideally, you would have your cable box, BluRay player, etc all connected to your TV - then using the optical out of your TV to connect to the PLAYBAR.
will it work with a connect:amp and wall mounted speakers that are not sonos? This would be a great feature--and spare me the expense of replacing perfectly good speakers I already have...
Won't there be some delay when the Playbar converts the direct (optical) sound to wireless streaming going to the Sub and/or Play:3s? Even a small echo effect will be annoying.
Userlevel 4
Badge +1
Thanks for the reply and I think I understand a bit better now now that I read up on the Play:3 unit. I think I see where my concern rests. If the Playbar doesn't act as a sending unit, this means something has to. With the videos, this is usually a tablet or phone, but what if I don't have one of those? Does Sonos cater to people who don't want their lives controlled by an iToy? ;)
Hi Robert - The Sonos PLAYBAR does have IR so it will support most universal remotes. Your initial setup of the PLAYBAR (and adding PLAY:3's and/or SUB) will require the use of a Sonos controller (iDevice, Android, PC, or Mac).
Badge +3
Won't there be some delay when the Playbar converts the direct (optical) sound to wireless streaming going to the Sub and/or Play:3s? Even a small echo effect will be annoying.
Don, There's no delay between the SUB and PLAY:3 units when paired with the PLAYBAR. You won't notice an echo effect when streaming wirelessly to these units.
Badge
All of this would have been nice to know since I recently purchased my second set of Play:5 speakers. If I would have known about the 2.4 GHz vs. the 5 GHz I would have bought Play:3's instead. Now I have 4 Play:5's with no ability to pair them up with this PLAYBAR.
Badge
All of this would have been nice to know since I recently purchased my second set of Play:5 speakers. If I would have known about the 2.4 GHz vs. the 5 GHz I would have bought Play:3's instead. Now I have 4 Play:5's with no ability to pair them up with this PLAYBAR.
Badge +3
^ Can you please share how this is accomplished without the use of an A/V receiver? I just discovered Sonos through this Verge article (http://www.theverge.com/2013/2/12/3979508/sonos-starts-its-long-awaited-living-room-attack-with-the-699-playbar-soundbar) and am very interested in the system. However, when I read the article, it also claimed adding additional speakers creates a true 5.1 system. I'm lost how this can be done with a two channel speaker system. I just read the Sonos source docs and can see identical speakers can be paired for stereo, but there is nothing to indicate if the speakers are front/rear. Without an A/V to direct sound to their individual speakers, I can't seem to figure out how two-channel is diverted into 4 speakers without them playing identically, which isn't true 5.1. I currently have a Bose Cinemate II two-channel system that also tries to emulate 5.1 and it's not as good as I hoped it would be (thank goodness it was free). It's okay, but it's obvious the surround sound element has been sacrificed for a simpler system. I'd really like to look more into Sonos as my future audio choice, but this now rests if we're getting true 5.1 or 4 speakers that simply play the exact same thing, just in two-channel. Thanks for reading.
Robert, PLAYBAR renders all 5.1 audio channels. When paired with SUB and PLAY:3s, PLAYBAR creates distinct left, center, and right audio images and sends the respective LFE (low-frequency effects) and surround channels to the SUB and PLAY:3s respectively. Thanks.
Badge +3
Lester, If you purchased the PLAY:5 units direct from Sonos within the last 45 days, you would be covered under our money back guarantee policy.
Badge
Unfortunately I did not. But thanks for the thought. I have that same policy with Best Buy and I'm on day 42. I may just return them.
Sonos has stated that it will only work with the Play:3; the Play:5 and Connect:Amp lack the low-latency 5GHz card needed for streaming 5.1.
Badge
Tell me this. Once all paired up, the PLAYBAR, the Play:3's and the SUB will I be able to also play the TV sound in other zones such as the Play:5 and Connect Amp zones?
Tell me this. Once all paired up, the PLAYBAR, the Play:3's and the SUB will I be able to also play the TV sound in other zones such as the Play:5 and Connect Amp zones?
You can link with other Rooms/Zones just like with regular Sonos units.
But the you would get the dreaded delay, right?
Badge +1
I'm using currently a Play:5 in my kitchen (no TV) and would like to replace it with a PlayBar. Mainly for optical reasons, but also, since I would like a little bit more speaker output power. How does the amplifier power of the PlayBar compare with the amplifier power of the Play:5? Is the stereo sound of the PlayBar at least on the same level with one Play:5? Thanks!
Userlevel 4
Badge +3
Hi Thomas, the PLAYBAR features 9 digital amps and 9 speakers as compared to 5 in the PLAY:5. The stereo sound is definately at least on the same level as the PLAY:5. You could always visit one of our resellers and convince yourself of the sound quality. Regards, Daniel
Badge +1
Hi Thomas, the PLAYBAR features 9 digital amps and 9 speakers as compared to 5 in the PLAY:5. The stereo sound is definately at least on the same level as the PLAY:5. You could always visit one of our resellers and convince yourself of the sound quality. Regards, Daniel
Thanks! I just ordered a PlayBar and I am looking forward ....
Once the playbar is connected to the TV is there away to turn the sound off and only use the TV speakers and vice versa?
Once the playbar is connected to the TV is there away to turn the sound off and only use the TV speakers and vice versa?
That would be done via the TV setup, not Sonos. You would have to enter the TV menu, turn off the optical out and turn on (or up) the internal speakers.
Not according to the Sonos reps.
Userlevel 2
So you can select Playbar as a source for audio to play through any Sonos units?
Yes.