Playbar out of sync

• 19 August 2017
  • 29 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +7
This is my 2nd tv and i am still getting terrible sync problems. My last tv was a samsung and i have just bought an oled c7 thinking it would cure the problem but it is just as bad. i am really getting fed up with the sonos playbar and i am losing faith in the product. im using optical from the tv to the playbar. It also does it when i plug the optical lead from sky Q to the playbar. I have tried everything possible but no luck. Reading on here there are a few people with the same problem. its starting to get me down.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

29 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +7
Few days in with my tv and im still getting sound drops everyday aswell as the sync problems.I have spent a fortune on sonos and im just thinking of cutting my losses and moving onto something else as all the tests ive done are pointing to the playbar.Ive put up with it for over a year with 2 different tvs and i think enough is enough. if it was slight sync problems i could put up with it,but its shocking.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
Have you raised a support ticket?
Userlevel 3
Badge +7
yes in the past about sound drops
Userlevel 5
Badge +11
Few days in with my tv and im still getting sound drops everyday aswell as the sync problems.I have spent a fortune on sonos and im just thinking of cutting my losses and moving onto something else as all the tests ive done are pointing to the playbar.Ive put up with it for over a year with 2 different tvs and i think enough is enough. if it was slight sync problems i could put up with it,but its shocking.
Audio sync issues should be addressable with the delay option in the app. Are you seeing a longer delay that it can account for?

The sound 'drops' would be the more worrying issue for me. Does the audio simply stop completely? Are there any indications that the Playbar is aware that an issues has occurred (such as the indicator light flashing), or does it sort of just stop then startup again? Do you have to do something to resume function?

I'm using a the slightly older B6 TV, but I haven't had any issues. I'll be glad to try and offer advice, but I'd recommend grabbing a diagnostic right after one of the sound drops. Provide that to Sonos support so they can offer a more informed answer.
Userlevel 3
Badge +7
Audio sync issues should be addressable with the delay option in the app. Are you seeing a longer delay that it can account for?

The sound 'drops' would be the more worrying issue for me. Does the audio simply stop completely? Are there any indications that the Playbar is aware that an issues has occurred (such as the indicator light flashing), or does it sort of just stop then startup again? Do you have to do something to resume function?

I'm using a the slightly older B6 TV, but I haven't had any issues. I'll be glad to try and offer advice, but I'd recommend grabbing a diagnostic right after one of the sound drops. Provide that to Sonos support so they can offer a more informed answer.

The app doesn't make a difference the sound drops happen evey day and has done for a long time. im fed up of ringing up and being told thats its a tv issue.
Userlevel 3
Badge +7
And yes it stops for a second each time
Userlevel 5
Badge +11
So let's clarify here. You appear to have mentioned two different problems. Audio sync (timing) issue lining up with the picture. That's what my suggestion for the app is speaking to. If you have that problem, it should allow you to line them up properly. It obviously won't fix the sound dropping out.

I cannot speak to your experience with support, but it's very unlikely anyone on here will offer something they don't see with the technical detail collected from a diagnostic. You didn't specifically mention if you had submitted one of those before. If you haven't, that's the #1 way to get a resolution.

The only other idea that comes to mind for me would be replacing the optical cable itself. It's not extremely common for them to go bad in such a way that intermittent issues occur, but it is technically possible. They're very fragile cables compared to most, so it's probably worth trying that out before you toss an expensive system.

Otherwise, I'd recommend re-reading my original post and answering some of the other questions I posed there. I don't know that I'll have any advice, but it might trigger something for another poster.
Userlevel 3
Badge +7
So let's clarify here. You appear to have mentioned two different problems. Audio sync (timing) issue lining up with the picture. That's what my suggestion for the app is speaking to. If you have that problem, it should allow you to line them up properly. It obviously won't fix the sound dropping out.

I cannot speak to your experience with support, but it's very unlikely anyone on here will offer something they don't see with the technical detail collected from a diagnostic. You didn't specifically mention if you had submitted one of those before. If you haven't, that's the #1 way to get a resolution.

The only other idea that comes to mind for me would be replacing the optical cable itself. It's not extremely common for them to go bad in such a way that intermittent issues occur, but it is technically possible. They're very fragile cables compared to most, so it's probably worth trying that out before you toss an expensive system.

Otherwise, I'd recommend re-reading my original post and answering some of the other questions I posed there. I don't know that I'll have any advice, but it might trigger something for another poster.

I know what your saying and i have 2 problems. one is the lyp-sync and i know the slider is to help match it up but i need the slider to go the other way if you know what i mean. Catch up if you like. By using the slider it makes it worse, it is on 0 at the moment. The sound drops happen everyday about 5-10 times a day.There is no flashing of lights on the playbar it just cuts out for a second then comes back on. Ive tried 2 different optical leads but no change.
Thanks.
Some TVs also have a "slider" for adjusting lip synch issues, as do some cable boxes. Check all available devices 🙂
The sync problem you are experiencing is very unusual. The audio lag with the Playbar is 30ms, which is unnoticeable. So clearly something 'odd' is going on. Could you clarify a few points please?
1. What sources are you watching? OTA TV broadcasts? Cable box? Blu-Ray?
2 If there are external devices involved. how is everything wired? HDMI to TV and optical from TV to Playbar?
3. In the TV audio settings, what audio format is the TV set to output over optical - PCM? Auto? DD5.1?

Edit - just reread original post, which answers all but last question
I guess one other possibility, given that it happens with two TVs, whether cabled from TV or Sky box, and with different cables, is that you are unusually sensitive to lip-sync and it's the normal 30ms delay that is bothering you. That is not a criticism, just throwing that possibility into the mix.
And... do the audio drops occur when cabled from the Sky box?
Userlevel 3
Badge +7
Yes.
Yes.
And with other sources? Or is the Sky box the only ultimate source? What about OTA TV broadcasts?
Userlevel 3
Badge +7
Yes.
And with other sources? Or is the Sky box the only ultimate source? What about OTA TV broadcasts?

Yes I'm also getting it with my blu-ray player. Not sure about ota broadcasts not tried.
OK. Nothing is certain in life but I think we should rule out the TV as the cause because
(a) It has happened with two differently branded TVs
(b) It happens when you bypass the TV for audio.

I wondered if it could be the Sky box, but if Blu-Ray is doing it too that looks wrong too.

So I would take this evidence back to Sonos and ask for a replacement Playbar. You might strengthen your argument further if you can attach an aerial and the problems occur with OTA too.

I really cannot think of anything else you can try. This is not 'normal' for the Playbar.
Userlevel 3
Badge +7
OK. Nothing is certain in life but I think we should rule out the TV as the cause because
(a) It has happened with two differently branded TVs
(b) It happens when you bypass the TV for audio.

I wondered if it could be the Sky box, but if Blu-Ray is doing it too that looks wrong too.

So I would take this evidence back to Sonos and ask for a replacement Playbar. You might strengthen your argument further if you can attach an aerial and the problems occur with OTA too.

I really cannot think of anything else you can try. This is not 'normal' for the Playbar.

Thank you. i am away at the moment when i get back i will do some more testing then i will contact sonos again.
The 2017 x7 OLEDs have delays that can not be dialed out with either the lip sync feature in the app or the TV menu. I had a 65e7 and could never get it perfect on any source external to the TV. DirecTV was awful and the delay changed between SD/720p/1080i content -- the scaler in the TV introduces inconsistent delays as it upscales to 4K. Amazon and Netflix were perfect, however. I had to move the LG to another room b/c I could not deal with the delay issue.

Interestingly, I am also having brief audio drops on the Playbar. It started with the LG and has persisted to the new Sony75z9d that replaced it. My thought was that it was the DirecTV box, but it may actually be the Playbase. Drops are random and quick, but persistent.
Userlevel 3
Badge +7
The 2017 x7 OLEDs have delays that can not be dialed out with either the lip sync feature in the app or the TV menu. I had a 65e7 and could never get it perfect on any source external to the TV. DirecTV was awful and the delay changed between SD/720p/1080i content -- the scaler in the TV introduces inconsistent delays as it upscales to 4K. Amazon and Netflix were perfect, however. I had to move the LG to another room b/c I could not deal with the delay issue.

Interestingly, I am also having brief audio drops on the Playbar. It started with the LG and has persisted to the new Sony75z9d that replaced it. My thought was that it was the DirecTV box, but it may actually be the Playbase. Drops are random and quick, but persistent.

i have rang up a few times about sound drops and all i get is sonos passing the buck saying its the tv. I now have it direct to sky Q and im still getting it. The funny thing is i even got a couple of drops whilst watching a blu-ray hdr film the other night. Just sick of companys not wanting to take responsibility for their faults.i was going to get another couple of play 5s for upstairs but this has just put me off.
Userlevel 1
Badge +2
I was having the same problem with sound drop outs. I was using both Ethernet ports on my Sonos sound bar and when I disconnect one of them, I had no drop outs at all. The TV I have is 4K oled Tv. Not quite sure what your setup is, but if this helps great.

I hope you get it sorted soon, I don’t think there is a system at the moment better than Sonos with what it can do and that’s only my opinion.
Userlevel 3
Badge +7
I was having the same problem with sound drop outs. I was using both Ethernet ports on my Sonos sound bar and when I disconnect one of them, I had no drop outs at all. The TV I have is 4K oled Tv. Not quite sure what your setup is, but if this helps great.

I hope you get it sorted soon, I don’t think there is a system at the moment better than Sonos with what it can do and that’s only my opinion.

Thanks for that, i have an oled c7 and i am using both ports too. will take one out.
Userlevel 1
Badge +2

Thanks for that, i have an oled c7 and i am using both ports too. will take one out.

Did it make any difference?
Userlevel 3
Badge +7

Did it make any difference?[/quote]

Took one of the Ethernet wires out not had a drop out in 5 hours so far.
Anyone with an oled tv and sky Q know how to get both remotes to control the playbar volume. I can only get one at a time to work.
Userlevel 1
Badge +2
I have Sky Q and I only use the Sky Q remote to do everything. Sorry I couldn’t help. And I hope that solves your problem with the drop outs.

Cheers
Riddick
Only one remote at a time can be paired with the Playbar