Playbar out of sync

• 26 February 2015
  • 8 replies

Userlevel 2
I have started to noticed when watching tv and watching videos that my playbar is out of sync I have it connected via optical directly into the tv.

all help is appreciated. 

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

8 replies

I had the same issue, it was driving me crazy, and my wife nuts. For some reason took me months, but finally found a setting on my LG TV, maybe called LG Active Sync? Turned this off as it was compensating for delay and didn't need to be...

Moral of the story check the setting on the TV, cable box, and other devices as well.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Hi Muteeb,

The PLAYBAR was designed to have a very low latency so that it stays in synchronization with your TV. You can try adjusting the lip synch delay in the Sonos settings, here's how: Audio settings for PLAYBAR.

If that doesn't help, we would like to see some data from your Sonos system. Please submit a diagnostic report and reply with the confirmation number: How to submit diagnostics.
Userlevel 2
Badge
Hi I also have sync issues, the sound is behind though so the lip sync doesn't help as this only delays the sound further. It's mainly on bluray play back which I've been told might be because my player has to decode dts to 5.1 (so the playbar can read it) which might delay it. Not sure if this is true but would make sense especially if the tv has to decode it again to pass the signal through the optical. If only they had installed hdmi inputs on the playbar and support dts. . . .
Userlevel 5
Badge +2
For what its worth:

The only time i see lipsync issues is when the content is played back via external devices like Mediacenter, XMBC etc. This can result from upstream decoding but can usually be offset on the playback device itself.

As long the content comes from Live TV or NetFlix, Amazon apps that are on the TV itself i don't get any lagging whatsoever.
Badge
I've notice this too. From time to time i also get the sound just dropping out for a second here and there. Is that WiFi issues. i.e.. when there is a lot of household traffic using the wifi???
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
I've notice this too. From time to time i also get the sound just dropping out for a second here and there. Is that WiFi issues. i.e.. when there is a lot of household traffic using the wifi???
Hi Karl,

There are a couple reasons why your PLAYBAR's audio might drop out from time to time. If your PLAYBAR is wireless, there could be some signal interference which can lead to audio drop outs. This can usually be fixed by changing the channel on which the Sonos system operates. Here's a guide to changing the channel: How to change the Sonos wireless channel.

When playing audio from your TV, wireless interference should not be an issue. This is because the TV sends its audio to the PLAYBAR through the optical cable rather than wirelessly. Audio interruptions from TV playback can be due to hardware issues or loose cables. If you get audio stops during TV playback we would like to see some data from your system to determine why. If this is the case, please send us a diagnostic report and reply here with the confirmation number, here's how: How to submit diagnostic reports.
Badge
I exprienced the same issue. Compensating thru the sync sliders on either Playbar of (LG UHD) TV only made it worse. Until i realised that the TV signal came from a set top box (Humax) via HDMI. Which... also has an audio sync feature. And guess what.... 😃
I just got a Playbar about a month ago and am having audio syncing issues when playing from BluRay and AppleTV. I have the sync setting on the Sonos app set to minimum. Suggestions?