Playbar Optical Port Door Missing

• 11 August 2015
  • 8 replies

Got my Playbar and noticed that there is no optical "door" on the back. I asked the seller about it, the sell told me "As a matter of fact, all NEW Sonos shipments that are shipped after August 1st directly from Sonos no longer has a "door" on the optical. Sonos has had a lot of service request because the "door" is stuck inside the connector, blocking the optical cable fro transmitting signal into the soundbar properly. Therefore, Sonos has decided to remove all the doors completely to avoid customers forcing the cable in improperly. "

Is it true?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

8 replies

The shutter has a dual purpose to protect against dust when not in use and to hold the optical cable in place, its flimsy on all products regardless of manufacturer, so I find it strange that the person would make such a claim! If it bothers you I would contact Sonos support via email or phone, get a statement and have your reseller replace it!
The shutter has a dual purpose to protect against dust when not in use and to hold the optical cable in place, its flimsy on all products regardless of manufacturer, so I find it strange that the person would make such a claim! If it bothers you I would contact Sonos support via email or phone, get a statement and have your reseller replace it!
I just got a reply from Sonos tech support. Seems it's normal.
"Hello,

Thank you for contacting Sonos Customer Care.

The Playbar you currently have is not defective; the cable is secured in the Playbar without the use of an door on the optical output as is usually seen. This was a change made almost two years ago in the production of the unit."

The only things bugs me is, isn't Playbar release about two years ago? So Sonos decided to remove the "door" almost immediately after lease?
Userlevel 5
Badge +4
I just got a reply from Sonos tech support. Seems it's normal.
"Hello,

Thank you for contacting Sonos Customer Care.

The Playbar you currently have is not defective; the cable is secured in the Playbar without the use of an door on the optical output as is usually seen. This was a change made almost two years ago in the production of the unit."

The only things bugs me is, isn't Playbar release about two years ago? So Sonos decided to remove the "door" almost immediately after lease?

Better to do it sooner rather than later if it was potentially causing issues. I'm just glad that SONOS even removed it and thought of another way to secure the cable, considering the mechanism for that door is crap on all devices SONOS could've just left it as it was. So I'm happy with that!
Userlevel 1
Badge +1
I must have an early release unit as the door to the optical in fell off and now i cannot keep the optical cable in place. Meanwhile SONOS support asked me to send a picture of the optical port and door as if they have no idea what i am talking about.
I have a five-year-old Playbar, and the optical port door has broken off, leaving me unable to secure the optical cable in place. Is there a fix for this other than shelling out another $700 for a new Playbar? Thanks.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
tape?

You can call sonos for alternatives.
I must have an early release unit as the door to the optical in fell off and now i cannot keep the optical cable in place. Meanwhile SONOS support asked me to send a picture of the optical port and door as if they have no idea what i am talking about.hey, how did you get this resolved? I have the same problem!